What is brain plasticity?

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hello everyone,

Ok I read the definitions. I think it is how the brain learns from mistakes, and remembers stuff and rewires itself. But I would still like to get someone's else's opinion on this. Thanks :smile:

Answers and Replies

Usually when you're talking about neuroplasticity, you're talking about the ability of certain brain areas to take over functions of the brain that have been damaged.

As an extreme example, you can actually remove an entire hemisphere of the brain in early life, and the remaining hemisphere will take over most of the functions of the missing hemisphere. You can't do this with adults. As the brain ages it specializes based on which neurons are used. The ones that aren't used actually undergo apoptosis and die. Therefore brain plasticity reduces with age.

In a general sense, though, neuroplasticity could refer to any ability for the brain to change from experience.

rhody
Gold Member
Hello everyone,

Ok I read the definitions. I think it is how the brain learns from mistakes, and remembers stuff and rewires itself. But I would still like to get someone's else's opinion on this. Thanks :smile:
sameeralord,

You might want to have a look over https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=422276". I think you will be pleasantly surprised. You could have found it using the search feature by entering your keywords too.

Rhody... :grumpy:

Last edited by a moderator: