1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is C^2?

1. Nov 29, 2005 #1
    I was asked to find a basis beta for V such that [T]_beta is a diagonal matrix.
    V=C^2 and T is defined by T(z,w) = (z+iw, iz+w)
    for C = complex.
    I don't quite understand the expression C^2, I know C can be represented by a plane with the real and imaginery axis, but how abt C^2?
    and also, how do i figure out the basis for this? I used (1,0) and (0,1) as my basis and I got the right answer.. but the basis doesn't seem right to me intuitively.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2005 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

C^2 is two dimensional complex vector space.

Presumably you're happy with R^2

T is not diagonal with respect to that standard basis.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2005
  4. Nov 30, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The cartesian product between [itex] \mathbb{C} [/itex] and [itex] \mathbb{C} [/itex] is written [itex] \mathbb{C}\times \mathbb{C} [/itex] and commonly written as [itex] \mathbb{C}^{2} [/itex].

Daniel.

5. Nov 30, 2005 #4
    "C^2 is two dimensional complex vector space."
    does this means that geometrically it has 4 axis in total?

so, what is the basis for C^2?
    intuitively I thought the basis is {(1,0), (0,1), (i,0),(0,i)} , but i think there're way too many vectors..
    and (1+i , 0), (0, 1+i) seems like can't span the whole space..

anyone can let me know what the basis for C^2 is?

6. Dec 1, 2005 #5

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're considering C^2 as a vector space over what field?

7. Dec 1, 2005 #6
    the question said for the linear operators T on a vector space V, if T is diagonalizable, find a basis beta for V suh that [T]_beta is a diagonal matrix.
    the answer for this quesiton is beta = {(1,1) , (1,-1)}
    but I still have no clue on the basis... please give me some hint!

8. Dec 1, 2005 #7

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, we usually say that [itex] \mathbb{C}^2 [/itex] is a 2-dimensional vector space over the field of complex numbers, i.e. [itex] \mathbb{C} [/itex]. A basis in this vector space is made up of
    [tex] \left(\begin{array}{c} 1\\0 \end{array} \right) \ \mbox{and} \ \left(\begin{array}{c} 0\\1 \end{array} \right) [/tex]

Daniel.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2005
  9. Dec 1, 2005 #8

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

C^2 is two dimensional over C, you are already using a basis implicitly when you define T(z,w)=(z+iw,w+iz). It is the 'standard basis' and it is given by (0,1) and (1,0) which is a basis for C^2 because you're allowed to multiply these by any complex number ie (3+i,1+2i) = (3+i)*(1,0)+(1+2i)*(0,1)

Suppose I asked you to diagonalize the REAL operator

T(x,y)=(x+y,x-y)

given with respect to the standard basis on R^2. Then you'd have no trouble doing it. This is exactly the same except that you're allowed to use complex numbers not just real ones.

10. Dec 1, 2005 #9

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you know how to find a basis for R^2, well then that's exactly how you do it. The same principle applies to C^2.

Note: I try not to worry about the visual representation of it. That might be bad, but I'm doing fine without the visual representation. I have some for things like linear independence/depence, but it's still not necessary because it all comes from the definition.

11. Dec 2, 2005 #10
    Thanks all for the reply! I got it now!

12. Dec 2, 2005 #11

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is not bad to do without visualization, it is very necessary, and it is bad to rely on visualization; the amount of maths that it visualizable is tiny and you should not rely on visualizing it (which I disinguish from having geometric intuition)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?