Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is charge.? Can charge be considered as dimension somewhat similar to spacetime?

1. Apr 24, 2012 #1
    Biggest problem which LHC is worried about is knowing how mass is related to particles.does this mean that physical significance or understanding about charge is discovered.? If yes,what charge is.? If No,why scientists are not concerned to know about what fundamental charge is by conducting some experiments similar to LHC..Hope I sound meaningful.Thanks for answering

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Re: what is charge.? Can charge be considered as dimension somewhat similar to spacet

Well, two LHC experiments try to find the Higgs boson, which is predicted by the Standard Model. While it is known that there has to be something which adds mass to the bosons of the weak force (W+, W-, Z), the Higgs mechanism is just the preferred way. There are other options, too.

No.

Charges (there are more than just the electromagnetic charge) are fundamental properties of particles. Unlike the mass of three bosons mentioned above, charges can just appear from the theory, you don't need something special to get them.

4. Apr 24, 2012 #3
    Re: what is charge.? Can charge be considered as dimension somewhat similar to spacet

There have been some past attempts to model electromagnetism as an additional, curled-up space dimension, and these theories work, up to a point. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaluza%E2%80%93Klein_theory.

5. Apr 25, 2012 #4
    Is there any link where I can get data about this.I read that the standard model doesn't find any need why mass arises,In similar way,Is significance of charge stated in standard model

6. Apr 25, 2012 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Well, the Lagrangian of the Standard Model (basically the thing you have to find to describe physics) contains terms which describe the interaction between bosons (force carriers) and fermions ("regular particles"), so you can read off which particles will interact with which. Charge is just a way to say "this particle interacts via this force [in this strength]". I don't know how to explain it in more detail without any actual quantum field theory, so you might look for an introduction in that yourself.

Mass is different - it determines the coupling to gravity (so you could call mass "gravitational charge"), but in addition it is important for inertia of particles.

The charges of the individual particles are not something fundamental in the Standard Model - they are determined in experiments and put into the theory. But it is easy to do this.

7. Apr 26, 2012 #6

naima

Gold Member

You ask what is charge.
    There several charges.
    I think one can say that a charge is what is globally conserved during time or scattering for isolated systems. They are conserved at each vertex of Feynman diagrams.
    search Noether charge on wikipedia

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook