Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is charge?

Tags:
  1. Aug 13, 2015 #1

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

I've heard people saying things like charge isn't real, but the suceptibility to a force is definitely real. Whatever charge actually is, or rather, what causes it, we know that electrons have it and neutrons don't. Any references to papers or web pages or anything on this?

Thanks.

P.s. Electric charge, or color charge. preferably both =]

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2015 #2

DEvens

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

What kind of answer would you find satisfying? And in what context are you interested in?

In quantum field theory context: Charge is a quantum number. It is related to things like interaction strength, conservation laws, and such. Some kinds of charge are conserved (electric charge for example) and are related to symmetries (the gauge symmetry of QED for electric charge). Some kinds of charge are not conserved, and are related to broken symmetries (week charge and the broken SU(2) symmetry of electro-weak theory).

4. Aug 13, 2015 #3

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

I'm less looking for the book keeping, and more in the context of what I actually just pulled up on google searching for unrelated things: the Holon. What is known about these quasiparticles? I've never seen these referenced before about 5 minutes ago.

5. Aug 13, 2015 #4

DEvens

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, yes. We of course knew exactly what you wanted. Sigh.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holon_(physics)

6. Aug 13, 2015 #5

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Sorry my last post got deleted for speaking speculatively. Trying to avoid that. I appreciate the link, but wikipedia is normally the first place I go, and was when I first found the term holon.

When I created this thread earlier, I wasn't sure exactly what I was looking for, so apologies for not being clearer.

7. Aug 13, 2015 #6

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Hmm, this seems self contradictory. Quasiparticles are just bookkeeping, so I don't see how you would be interested in them if you are not looking for book keeping.

8. Aug 13, 2015 #7

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Are they? I"m not familiar with quasiparticles

9. Aug 13, 2015 #8

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I'm still not sure what your question is.

10. Aug 13, 2015 #9

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

My understanding is that charge is simply an intrinsic property of subatomic particles, and there's really little more to it than that. Whether that's bookkeeping or not, I don't know.

11. Aug 13, 2015 #10

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Well take leptons for instance, specifically (as an example) electrons and neutrinos. Both considered fundamental, yet one contains this property, and another doesn't. How can charge be an intrinsic property if some "objects" or "things" display the property, while others don't? Is there anything on this? I found holon's, but apparently they're akin to virtual particles or something similar?

I'm curious as to whether or not there's a mechanism under which matter acquires this so called property "charge".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook