What is civil engineering like?

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of finding a job that allows for working outside instead of sitting behind a desk. The person speaking is considering switching from engineering to wildlife and fisheries biology with a minor in environmental science and policy. They mention the opinion of an environmental engineer who was disappointed to find out there is little outdoor work in their field, and suggest that working in policy may be more suitable for those interested in helping the environment. The conversation ends by discussing the outdoor work opportunities in the field of wildlife biology and ecology.
Jon1770
Is it easy to find a job where you don't have to sit behind a desk? I would like to be able to work outside. I am just finishing up all my general engineering classes and I have found them to be very boring so far. I am considering doing something other than engineering. I am considering switching to wildlife and fisheries biology with a minor in environmental science and policy.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's quite a difference. If you like to work outside, then I think you should switch. Depending on what civil specialty you pursue, you could be outside occasionally at jobs sites, but I would imagine most of the time you would be in an office.

I met an environmental engineer who told me she picked her job because she wanted to be outside but found out that there is very little work outside. Needless to say she seemed a little bit disappointed with her job and said that if someone is really interested in helping the environment then they should work in the policy aspect. Also wildlife biologists and ecologists definitely work outside a lot. I worked with a few foresters over the summer and they spent about half their time outside. It is very nice and it is an important upcoming field I should say.

1. What is the main focus of civil engineering?

Civil engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on the design, construction, and maintenance of the built environment. This includes everything from roads, bridges, buildings, and infrastructure systems such as water supply and transportation networks.

2. What skills are important for a civil engineer?

Civil engineers need to have strong mathematical and analytical skills, as well as the ability to problem solve and think critically. They also need to have good communication skills, as they often work in teams and need to be able to effectively convey their ideas to others.

3. What types of projects do civil engineers work on?

Civil engineers work on a variety of projects, including transportation systems, water and sewage systems, buildings and structures, and environmental projects. They may also specialize in a certain area, such as geotechnical engineering or structural engineering.

4. What are the job prospects for civil engineers?

The job outlook for civil engineers is positive, with a projected growth rate of 5% from 2018 to 2028. This is due to the increasing need for infrastructure maintenance and upgrades, as well as new construction projects.

5. What are the benefits of pursuing a career in civil engineering?

Civil engineering offers a variety of benefits, including job stability, opportunities for career advancement, and the ability to make a positive impact on society. Additionally, civil engineers often have the opportunity to work on challenging and innovative projects, which can be personally fulfilling.