Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is coast to coast?

1. May 3, 2005 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Coast to coast seems to come off as sort of a radio for conspiracy theorists/crackpots in this forum. Is this true?

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2005 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Mostly. They have some credible guests, some eh, dicey guests, and lots of nuts. :biggrin:

4. May 4, 2005 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

haha man, these 2 people on my online class say they listen to coast to coast. Its an industrial technologies class and they always bring up some kinda wild things that seem rather questionable. Who is this art bell and george norry?

5. May 4, 2005 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Its not all bad, but there is no doubt about it. Anyone who believes much of what they hear on C to C need to re-think things a bit; or a lot.

6. May 4, 2005 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Who are those 2 guys?

7. May 4, 2005 #6
    He sells flashlights over the radio on an AM station.

8. May 4, 2005 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Art Bell is a talk show host who opened the door to UFOs and other fringe discussion, and was swept to the number one night time radio talk show in just a couple of years I think. After doing the show for quite a few years, about ten I think, he turned the show over to George Noory, who does the Mon through Fri gig, with Bell back on weekends.

Bell is also very active in Ham radio and has gotten fairly political on related issues. He really led the charge against the broad band over power lines debate.

9. May 4, 2005 #8
    Coast to Coast is very fun. Michio Kaku interviews with them on occasion. There is a guy that comes on and talks mostly about nanotech whom I thought was a crackpot until I read somewhere that there really is such thing as a 3D printer. Once they even had on a guy named Amarillo 'Slim' who was really entertaining. Not a crackpot or anything, he talked about back in the day when he was a pool shark and made outragous bets with people more or less conning them out of their money including some famous people such as Minnesota Fats.

10. May 4, 2005 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

All true. But then there's Mel's Hole. :biggrin:

11. May 4, 2005 #10
    Lol... Red Elk is quite the nut too but it's like listening to your grandpa tell you stories.

12. May 4, 2005 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have to admit, I often get a huge charge out of the show. Sometimes I don't know if I should laugh or cry, but it is what it is, and it is entertaining. I don't listen to many of the shows from start to end, but most nights I do try to catch the first half hour or so for any unusual news items, and to see who's on that night.

Of all of the stuff that I've heard, I think John Lear [Lear Jets] came up with about the most terrifying story of all time. He has taken the ET frenzy to an entirely new level. But it is truly scary to think how many people probably believed him.

13. May 4, 2005 #12
    The last time I listen Art was on about some metal fragments someone had anonymously put at his disposal, claiming they were part of the Roswell wreckage. He was having them analyzed. This took days. I was strung along from night to night waiting to hear the results. Each night of waiting I had to sit through several energetic attempts to sell me
    flashlight. Finally, the results came back: the metal was a common alloy of aluminum.

He's a flashlight salesman with a paranormal hook.

14. May 4, 2005 #13

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I never bought the flashlight, but I do own the AM antenna. :approve: I find many of his guests fascinating. Others are crap, but entertaining nonetheless.
    My favorite guest was Anne Foerst, the computer scientist/theologian working on the Cog and Kismet projects at the MIT AI labs.

15. May 4, 2005 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:biggrin: No one is putting Bell on any pedestals here. It's radio, so yes, he's always selling something, and he helps the fringe, the fringe of the fringe, the fringe of the fringe of the fringe, and the absolute nut jobs to attain unprecedented levels of exposure. And there is no better place on night time radio to sell a book, or whatever. And I know exactly what you mean. For a time Bell kept on this bit about this giant antenna that he constructed for some Ham Radio deal. He was measuring a high voltage on the completely isolated antenna, which due to its height and length, is not too hard to explain. Bell kept after this for weeks claiming to be getting some mysterious new power from his antenna. I kept waiting and waiting for someone to call in who knew the proper explanation. It was almost painful to listen and wait. Finally, one guy called in who was an EE. As soon as he started to give the proper explanation, the most important point being that there is only a high potential but no real power, Bell cut him off and we never heard that caller again. Unless you knew the answer, you might have missed it, but Bell was clearly promoting this bull for the sense of mystery and intrigue that it offered. Obviously he knew better. That's why he cut the guy off.

16. May 4, 2005 #15
    He did the same thing to me, which is probably the real reason I'm so denigrating. I called in to a UFO show, started to talk about Michael Persinger's explanations, and he suddenly shouted at me:

"Hallucinations! Then how do you know you're not living in a post-apoclyptic wasteland hallucinating that it isn't???!!!"

And he hung up. There is a few second delay in air time. He edited out his shout. There was a long pause. Then he and the guest just acted as though the connection had been severed by accident.

17. May 4, 2005 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I bought the flashlight and it was incredible. Two C cells lasted about 40 hours, IIRC; with about 20 hours of that seeming at full brightness. I looked around and at the time it was comparably priced. Ultimately some contractors on a job site liked it so much that I never got it back.

18. May 4, 2005 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Well...

19. May 4, 2005 #18
    He is your father.

20. May 4, 2005 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not enough legs.

21. May 4, 2005 #20
    You dropped it one dark night on your way back to the house after only about five minutes of use, and it went out. You stood there, in the dark night, completely betrayed and abandoned by Art Bell, frantically pushing the switch back and forth, back and forth, while the skunks closed in.

In every direction you looked you could make out the faint image of dozens of white stripes. The sweat flowed like water from a showerhead in a Hitchcock movie.

Back and forth. Back and forth. No light.

Then, you heard it: the chant of their tiny skunk voices.

One of us!
    One of us!
    Gooble gabble!
    One of us!

The next day, you slipped the flashlight into some contractors tool box, and pulled the hood of your sweatshirt more tightly around your face to better hide your new bushy white mohawk.

Last edited: May 4, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?