What is coast to coast?

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Thank you Phobos. I really didn't like the turn this thread had taken! :biggrin:

Mk
I absolutely love Art Bell's show. Almost all of them are very interesting, regardless of who he is interviewing - if its the idiots that hear something when the cassete tape empty haunted houses, or Michio Kaku or Kevin Mitnick. My personal favorite story is the one of Mel's Holes. George Noory is not quite the radio genius as Art is, I don't even listen to his shows anymore. Besides, most of his guests are crackpots, however, not lately.
"Researcher Loren Coleman and expedition leader Tom Biscardi were joined by fingerprint technician Jimmy Chilcutt (2nd Hour) and author Smokey Crabtree (3rd Hour) to discuss the elusive creature known as Bigfoot..."
Makes you wonder what a fingerprint technician knows about bigfoot...

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
zoobyshoe said:
Yeah, Phil tackles some important issues. At Phobos' link check out:

Flushed With Pride: The Coriolis Effect In your Potty

Actually it gets a little more complicated. Apparently there are companies in South America that jet their toilets opposite to the norm here in the US. So people really were seeing toilets with the opposite spin.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I found Art Bell through Michio Kaku's site. Kaku has always been my favorite guest, but really his message hasn't changed much, so his stuff gets old after the first few interviews. I always enjoy Seth Shostak and really any respectable scientist, of which there have been many. Of course I like to listen to the UFO stuff, much of which is pretty bogus, but there are some credible guests with verifiable information available, at times. I quit the ghost hunters, witches, psychics, etc almost right away. I find most of them to be either obvious kooks[Sylvia], offensively deceitful [Sylvia], or dreadfully boring[Sylvia]. The EM ghost stuff has caught my interest a bit in that I haven't seen this claim convincingly debunked, but I assume that it's just stray radio signals, random noise, and coincidence. But it is easy to try, so really this issue should be easily resolved.

I think Noory tries to be more honest than Bell, but he isn't as technically savvy and it shows. One of his first interviews with a scientist, maybe even Kaku, was terrible. His questions were incredibly lame and he obviously didn't understand the answers. It was like listening to someone subjected to death by a thousand cuts. I think he is getting better though.

Mk said:
I absolutely love Art Bell's show.
He's a little harder to warm up to after you've had the experience of having him unexpectedly blow up at you over the phone. The fact he edits his outbursts out so the listeners don't hear it, is what makes it particularly devious.

Mk
I think Art Bell is someone you can't imagine blow up on you...

Have any of you heard when that insane fundamentalist Christan guy calls up? What's his name? Like John something? That is REALLY funny, but its also kind of sad.

My Dad said he heard a show when a big guy in the KKK called up. He was on for a while.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Well folks, here is your chance to tune into the wacky and wild for free. Again, I am only suggesting this for the entertainment value. In no way should many or most of the guests and callers be taken seriously. There are occasionally fascinating or entertaining guests to be found here, but extreme discretion is required.

It appears that the free streaming link weekend will allow you to review the shows from the last two months for any guests that may interest you.

Free Streamlink Weekend
Get ready for our Free Streamlink Weekend, which will begin Friday May 6th at 7pm PT, and run through Sunday night. It's a great chance to get a taste of our value-packed subscription service...cont.
http://www.coasttocoastam.com/

hypnagogue
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
zoobyshoe said:
He did the same thing to me, which is probably the real reason I'm so denigrating. I called in to a UFO show, started to talk about Michael Persinger's explanations, and he suddenly shouted at me:

"Hallucinations! Then how do you know you're not living in a post-apoclyptic wasteland hallucinating that it isn't???!!!"

And he hung up. There is a few second delay in air time. He edited out his shout. There was a long pause. Then he and the guest just acted as though the connection had been severed by accident.

Hmm. More to the point, how do you know his outburst itself wasn't a hallucination? :bugeye: Does your phone happen to have a huge electromagnet in it?

BTW, this reminds me of the most recent episode of the Simpsons, with Ray Romano as a guest character. Did anyone catch it? Homer befriends Romano's character, but no one else claims to have seen him, even in situations where Homer and Ray were both present and Homer interacted with others (Ned, Bart, etc.). They come to the conclusion that Ray is just a hallucination on Homer's part.

At the end, it's revealed that Ray is, in fact, real. The cast of characters proceeds to come up with rational explanations for why no one else but Homer had seen him up until that point. (For instance, Ray was behind the chimney when he and Homer were on the roof of the Simpsons residence and Homer chatted with Ned.) But no one can explain the incident in the warehouse, where Homer was having a conversation with Ray but it appeared to Bart as if Homer were talking to himself. At this point, Stephen Hawking rolls in (of course!) and explains that, according to his calculations, there just happened to have been some sort of black hole/spacetime anomoly at that instance of space and time directly between Bart and Ray, bending light in such a way that Bart couldn't see him.

Well, it sounds really mundane once I've had to spell it all out, but I can assure you it was comedic gold! And a nice, ironic commentary on the role of probability in matters of explanation as well.

By the way has anyone seen Hypnagogue lately?

hypnagogue
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
zoobyshoe said:
By the way has anyone seen Hypnagogue lately?

I heard he got lost at sea and died upon eating a poisonous jellyfish.

Ivan Seeking said:
Well folks, here is your chance to tune into the wacky and wild for free.
I really hope no one wastes their time.

Incidently: Has anyone heard from Hypnagogue recently?

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Now here is a good example of how far things can go. Tonight a caller is claiming that global warming is caused by the hell fires getting hotter. :rofl:

This is in direct proportion to our increasing level of sin. This also explains the volcanic activities of late! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'm sorry, how is this not comedy? I was losing it here, as was Bell and the next caller.

The return of TedJesusChristGod?

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
zoobyshoe said:
The return of TedJesusChristGod?

I don't know; never caught the name. I think I have heard the guy that you mean but I'm not sure. When I'm really busy I may miss weeks of shows at a time.

When did you call in? I was wondering if I caught the program.

Ivan Seeking said:
I don't know; never caught the name.
No, TJCG is that guy megashawn started that thread about last year in S&D.
Ivan Seeking said:
When did you call in? I was wondering if I caught the program.
It would have been about 7 or 8 years ago.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
zoobyshoe said:
It would have been about 7 or 8 years ago.

I probably caught the show then. For the first couple of years I listened almost every night.

Ivan Seeking said:
I probably caught the show then.
But you missed the most interesting moment, non-the-less.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I was thinking about his reaction. I wonder if this was due to his own alleged sighting?

Well, I think your point is completely valid though. They need to fill four hours every night - five hours a night back when you called, and they have to constantly come up with something to keep the listeners entertained. I have caught quite a few snags that really show how contrived much of this stuff really is; with Bell and others in complicity.

Phobos
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
zoobyshoe said:
Yeah, Phil tackles some important issues. At Phobos' link check out:

Flushed With Pride: The Coriolis Effect In your Potty

Always a crowd pleaser.