1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is combustion?

1. Nov 13, 2007 #1
    what is needed for combustion?

I have this experiment NH4NO3 reacts to form (with chlorine as catalyst) N2O and water

the experiment is called oxidation of zinc, so another equation is Zn and NH4NO3 react to form ZnO and water. Anyways, the result is a blue flame and smoke

Combustion is the production of heat and light when something reacts with oxygen. I know that all combustion reactions are automatically oxidation reduction reactions. But how do i determine if oxygen is being used in this reaction to fuel the flame. Basically, is theis a redox and combustion reaction.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2007 #2
    How Do I Know If This Is Indeed Combustion?
  4. Nov 13, 2007 #3

Staff: Mentor

Combustion usually refers to oxidation, particularly the exothermic reaction of a material with oxygen.

One definition -

It's difficult to find a more reliable site that actually provides clear definition of "combustion".
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?