1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering What is computer engineering all about?

1. Feb 29, 2004 #1
    What is computer engineering all about?

What is the difference between a computer programmer and a software engineer?

What is the difference between a web-designer and a web-developer?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2004 #2
    Click me

They are more concerned with developing algorithms and analyzing and solving programming problems. Programmers are more concerned with writing code.

I need a second opinion on my facts, but the difference is that a web-developer programs.

A web-designer knows HTML, Javascript, and maybe CSS and basic Flash, excluding Actionscript.

A web-developer does web-programming, which includes things like PHP. Javascript can count as a language (scripting) too. They may likely know Perl, Python, Java or Haskell as well.
  4. Mar 7, 2004 #3

Staff: Mentor

To add to that, a web designer is responsible for the "design" which is the look and layout of the pages. Depending on their skill set, they may also do the graphics. I see the terms developer & designer used interchangeably, but I agree with kenikov's distinction.

A software engineer also develops/creates new software. After a software engineer develops the software, a programmer writes the program that provides the instructions to the computer on how to perform the functions.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?