Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is conduction band?

1. Aug 25, 2005 #1
    Anyone plz explain to me what is conduction band and what are conduction band electrons? What energy do they have and how do they transfer it?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2005 #2

Staff: Mentor

4. Aug 26, 2005 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Transfer it to what ?
  5. Aug 28, 2005 #4
    I mean how do they absorb or radiate energy ( continuously or discreetly )?

P.S. - :smile: Sorry for using the wrong term. Actually, I didn't think someone would read it in so detail! :approve:
  6. Aug 30, 2005 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The energy of the electrons in the conduction band is close to the fermi energy of the material. "Gapless" transitions within the conduction band are possible by absorbing very low energy radiation ("nearly" continuous values of frequency). Higher energy photons cause photoionization of the conduction electrons (the photoelectric effect).

Also, you have low lying excitations of the conduction band, known as plasmons, where the incident photon excites fluctuations in the charge density of the conduction electron "gas".
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?