Is Consciousness Just the Result of Electrical Activity in Our Brains?

In summary, consciousness is the awareness of space and time, or the existence of space and time relative to oneself. It is associated with electrical activity in the brain, but this does not fully explain its complexity. Some believe that consciousness is simply a chemical reaction, while others argue that it is influenced by both chemical and electrical impulses. There is still much we do not understand about consciousness, including the concept of a "soul" and the possibility of multiple existences or memories carrying over. However, it is clear that our brains play a crucial role in creating our conscious experiences.
What is Consciousness? or What _Does_ Consciousness?

Pardon me for being at a complete loss when it comes to describing, in scientific terms, the nature of consciousness.

As some who have read my posts here from time to time know, I keep a small record of what I and many others believe that consciousness does.

I have remarked often about Prof. Kaku's Levels of Civilization, too. In the archives.

Please come by for a visit when you have the time. (Not a long visit—only one page—oh yes, there is a small opinion poll going on now, too).

I appreciate your interest and thank you in advance for checking this out:

http://project-global-consciousness.org/

Ken
(gather)

?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Haven't read the whole thread, I'll work my way through it. Hope I'm not repeating anything or stepping on toes.

Consciousness is an emergent property of matter/energy of sufficient organizational complexity.

The entirety of the universe's computational potential in insufficient to completely model a single consciousness. A basic combinatorial explosion not to mention likely quantum effects. This leads to de facto free will.

Artificial intelligence/consciousness will likely emerge. If it's independently emergent it may be very alien, if it results from intelligence amplification it may share something of humanity...

Hellburner said:
Haven't read the whole thread, I'll work my way through it. Hope I'm not repeating anything or stepping on toes.

Welcome to PF Hellburner.

Hellburner said:
Consciousness is an emergent property of matter/energy of sufficient organizational complexity.

A theory. You cannot demonstrate consciousness is emergent, and you cannot show it results from complexity. Until is proven, when you state it as a fact you are not being accurate in your communication.

Hellburner said:
The entirety of the universe's computational potential in insufficient to completely model a single consciousness. A basic combinatorial explosion not to mention likely quantum effects. This leads to de facto free will.

More theory. You might consider preceding such statements with "in my opinion . . ."

Hellburner said:
Artificial intelligence/consciousness will likely emerge. If it's independently emergent it may be very alien, if it results from intelligence amplification it may share something of humanity...

Well maybe. All the AI enthusiansts and programmers make big claims. As for me, I'll believe it when I see it.

Re: subjective experience.

I really have to turn it around and ask, how can you NOT have subjective experience?

Lets say each consciousness is a black box. Each box has a random seed from an effectively infinite set. Hence no consciousness can have the exact same experience.

Hellburner said:
Re: subjective experience.

I really have to turn it around and ask, how can you NOT have subjective experience?

Lets say each consciousness is a black box. Each box has a random seed from an effectively infinite set. Hence no consciousness can have the exact same experience.

You are correct. But that's not the point (accepting your confidence that mechanics/physicalness can explain it all). What set of physical circumstances can you put together which proves physicalness creates subjective conscious experience to begin with?

A theory. You cannot demonstrate consciousness is emergent, and you cannot show it results from complexity. Until is proven, when you state it as a fact you are not being accurate in your communication.
Yes, a theory with some rather compelling foundational basis. Look at the animal kingdom, in general the more complex the brain structure the higher the consciousness. In the realm of artificial neural nets, more complex structures yield emergent properties generally related to the level of complexity.
More theory. You might consider preceding such statements with "in my opinion . . ."
http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/quant-ph/pdf/0110/0110141.pdf
The universe can have performed no more than 10^120 ops on 10^90 bits.
http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultranet/BiologyPages/C/CNS.html
It is estimated that the human brain contains 100 billion (10^11) neurons averaging 10,000 synapses on each; that is, some 10^15 connections.
Assuming a purely binary synapse (most assuredly not the case), there would be what? 2^(10^15) states? How does that compare to the computational capacity of the universe?

Last edited by a moderator:
Les Sleeth said:
What set of physical circumstances can you put together which proves physicalness creates subjective conscious experience to begin with?
It's basically a biochemical cascade largely predicated by various environmental inputs and the synaptic weightings imparted by prior life experiences.

Hellburner said:
Assuming a purely binary synapse (most assuredly not the case), there would be what? 2^(10^15) states? How does that compare to the computational capacity of the universe?

Human neural synapses are likely capable of receiving at least 10 different neurotransmitters, each of which produces a unique signal transduction cascade, which itself will vary according to the internal structure of each neuron (which is not standard for all neurons).

How my consciousness depicts "consciousness"

I don't know if there is anything absolute - realization might vary.
What I am writing here is all truth to me.
I practiced meditation from 1987 - I have a weird experience once - It was december 2000 Austin, Seton centre pkwy.. at my apt.. I was meditating on the floor and no drug effect the time was 12:20AM - Its all about isolation - I was concentrating on a concept that:: "something that changes is not my soul - anything that changes is part of nature surrounding me" - I do not exist on the skin, neither on flesh or blood nor even Na+ ion movement across synapses communicating electrical pulses in my brain - I am beyond - I was trying to focus my mind little above my head - as if i am outside the body and just there 2 inches above my head - maybe couple of hours passed - and all what I got is a point of light - that gradually got enlarged and was all around me - then "consciousness" regained slowly - I still felt I have the body - I am sorry to say, for this was the first time I got scared - for I was unable to open my eyes - I was unable to move any of my limb - though I was wishing strongly I that I am breathing - but I was not sure that I was breathing or not - there was nobody else at the house - I was willing I have a hand a leg - LOL - slowly enough I got back myself as a breathing human being - but by that time it was already morning 6:30AM and I have my -dead-cold legs - you know, I felt like due to something I had no blood circulation on my legs and arms.
I concluded that consciousness is all about being in this space time.

FaverWillets said:
Additionally, the human level of consciousness is determined in precisely the same manner... stimuli impinge upon our various sensory receptors. It is from these myriad of "collisions" from solid molecules triggering olfaction and taste, photons striking our retina for sight, touching or being touched, hearing sound waves, speech from air molecules passing over our vocal chords. ...What IS consciousness must first be answered. I have yet to arrive at a conclusion that I find entirely satisfactory.

This brings me to the connection between consciousness and observation. I cannot imagine consciousness without some form of observation. Quantum physics makes the connection between quantum reality and the method of observation or measuring. This puts a totally different spin on things. (No pun intended) The existence of an electron depends on how and if it is observed. Besides the intriguing question "What is consciousness?" there is also the following question. Does consciousness exist because of some interaction in the material world or does the material world exist because of consciousness?

Esnas said:
The existence of an electron depends on how and if it is observed. Besides the intriguing question "What is consciousness?" there is also the following question. Does consciousness exist because of some interaction in the material world or does the material world exist because of consciousness?

According to quantum physics, the properties of an electron depend on observation not the existence itself.

Consciousness is not a primary. Existence is is. Without existence, consciousness is not possible.

Esnas said:
The existence of an electron depends on how and if it is observed. Besides the intriguing question "What is consciousness?" there is also the following question. Does consciousness exist because of some interaction in the material world or does the material world exist because of consciousness?

You shouldn't state your interpretation here as if it is not contentious. By "observation," many researchers only mean the physical interaction of photon and electron. The relevance of conscious experience of the observation is not known and not even investigated as far as I know. You're relying on interpretation of data that are far from standard.

loseyourname said:
You shouldn't state your interpretation here as if it is not contentious. By "observation," many researchers only mean the physical interaction of photon and electron. The relevance of conscious experience of the observation is not known and not even investigated as far as I know. You're relying on interpretation of data that are far from standard.

Loseyourname is right that it is contentious. But only in this forum. It seems that some in this forum still seem to want to cling to the billiard ball physics of subatomic particles. Everything else I have ever read doesn't do this. I even saw a science program on television the other day ( I know, I know this is "pop science" blah! :yuck: ) and they explicitly claimed in this program that "measurement" was more than just interaction of sub-atomic particles. Here is a link to a long thread on this very topic.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=2971&page=1&pp=15

Note the original posters attitude toward anything other than "particle from measuring device interacts with particle to be measured and changes it." This is the uncertainty principle to him. But as I said, there is a lot of information out there claiming that uncertainty runs much deeper than this and this information isn't sponsored by the 'Mystics of America' as some would have you think.

Last edited:
Tom Mattson said:
No one has ever extrapolated the most fundamental known physical entities and interactions to a model of consciousness. In fact, no one has ever given a satisfactory account of consciousness that is purely physical. And the connection between consciousness and quantum theory is something that exists only in pop science literature, and in the minds of those who only know science at the popular level.

So am I the first then ?

BTW I think you mean brains instead of minds. Connections have always been there but you probably wouldn't recognize them if science is your God ...

It takes 2 to argue and no one seems to be arguing with me on my speculation of a repository for consciousness in a compactified dimension of string theory. The only argument I'm getting is from you on the method in which I invite argument by stating what I believe to be true as a statement of fact.

I don't have to prove I'm right to anybody, however you seem to have to prove I'm wrong to everybody so just keep pissing in the wind Tom.

time will tell...

Why not ask the people that actually know?

yanniru said:
I think the Copenhagen doctrine is correct if we just say that the interaction "could" be known. QM does appear to be controlled by information or knowledge. For example, just knowing the location of a photon at one slit of the double slit experiment eliminates the interference fringe pattern, no matter how slight the photon is perturbed in the experiment. The location of the photon in this case is actually known, even if removed from the human observer by several layers of instruments and processing time. The interesting thing is that the waves know to collapse long before the human knows what they have done. It seems to happen instantly. Some try to argue that a cosmic consciousness is involved. But it is sufficient for scientific purposes to just extent the Copenhagen Interpretation of QM to 'could' observe.

In experiments the human often perturbs the environment by making a measurement of where the photon is. But in natural processes, very strong perturbations revealing the locations of the photons happen all the time, like at the detector screen, which usually absorbs the photon. But photons are constantly being absorbed by various surfaces and the interaction locates the photon. Sometimes humans get to know this, but almost all the time there is no human intervention, yet the Extended Copenhagen Interpretition would work.

That answer was given in the quantum physics forum, which would be the proper place to ask this question. Those of us here in the metaphysics forum really don't know what we're talking about. All uncertainty is to me is this:

Dp Dq > h / 4p

DE Dt > h / 4p

• Let's say you measure the position of a moving electron with such great accuracy that Dq is very small. What happens to the precision of the momentum Dp, which you measure at the same instant? From the first relation, we have

Dp > h / 4 p Dq

You can see that the uncertainty in the momentum measurement, Dp is very large, since Dq in the denominator is very small. In fact, if the precision of the position measurement gets so great that the uncertainty Dq gets so small that it approaches zero, then Dp gets so large that it approaches infinity or becomes completely undefined.

From http://www.aip.org/history/heisenberg/p08a.htm

I guess I don't see too much metaphysical relevance in this fact alone. In fact, there are literally thousands of measurements that can be made of quantities other than momentum, position, energy, and time that are not subject to these relations. Furthermore, the relations do not apply to macroscopic entities. Even if the subatomic particles that constitute all matter are subject to probabilistic modeling, when put together into human-size objects, the statistical aberrations cancel out and we get certainty. I can definitely know my own position and momentum, or Fliption's energy and time. Which brings me to the only metaphysical question I've ever had about the uncertainty principle: Why would a conscious observer be relevant if we've only been able to consciously observe entities subject to uncertainty for less than several decades?

Then again, by my own admission, I really have no idea what I'm talking about with respect to this matter. For that reason, I've linked Fliption's post to a thread in the Quantum Physics forum and, with any luck, someone who does know what she is talking about can help us out.

Here is the thread.

Last edited:
strategic dependence on initial conditions allows for differing subjective experience by the observer...

...given that no two observers occupy the same space at the same time.

No two people have the same frame of reference...

For example, just knowing the location of a photon at one slit of the double slit experiment eliminates the interference fringe pattern, no matter how slight the photon is perturbed in the experiment. The location of the photon in this case is actually known, even if removed from the human observer by several layers of instruments and processing time. The interesting thing is that the waves know to collapse long before the human knows what they have done. It seems to happen instantly. Some try to argue that a cosmic consciousness is involved. But it is sufficient for scientific purposes to just extent the Copenhagen Interpretation of QM to 'could' observe.

I'm not sure if this is accurate or maybe I'm not interpreting this correctly. If what I read about double slit experiments is true, you can do interesting things like:

Set up the experiment with 2 slits (=wave pattern) with light detectors (=particle pattern), shoot the particles, and afterwards do not look at the results for the light detectors (=?) and without examining the pattern on the wall, go take a lunch.

Once back from lunch, delete the light detector results (w/o looking at it) and when you examine the wall, you will get a wave pattern!

Of course if you read the detector results when you come back, you will have the particle pattern... But how does it know what you're going to do, or have you changed the past?

The main reason for debate with the double slit experiment is what exactly happens when we try to scale up the interpretations from particles to day to day objects. And the answer to that is really the answer to what exactly is reality. According to quantum theory all particles are in state of superpositions until a collapse in its wave function (by observation).. And scientiests can send protons, carbon atoms, helium atoms, etc. through the double slit with same results.

A way to describe the quantum collapse of superpositions (wave functions) by observors is to say that reality and our free will are different sides of the same coin. The closeness of the two is one such that no amount of space or time can separate their one-ness. I say no amount of space since we can already send information faster than speed of light (instantaneous) using quantum methods. In other words, their connection is above space time.

BTW I appreciated someone's post on meditation. I believe scientists, skeptics and everyone on this form can spend a life time trying to 'describe' and 'map-out' what this one-ness is when the actual Feeling of one-ness is actually very accessbile.

Last edited:
Don't mean to sidetrack this thread but here's my "answer" to the question, "what is consciousness?" Please carry on with your discussion.

I think consciousness is one of those terms that either can't be well defined and/or not everyone will agree on a definiton.

But, then again, what is consciousness is not necessarily a question of definitons.

Continuing to interpret the question as of definiton, here's what I propose:

consciousness is that of a being which can process, can perceive, can react and can be 'silent'.

You'll prove my first statement right if you disagree with this definiton. I know Tom loves "proofs"... But we all know you can't prove a definiton; definitons are either useful or useless not right nor wrong.

Now interpreting the consciousness question as not about definiton... what isconsciousness? Well, the stupid answer is that consciousness is.

Consciousness is the quintessence of being.

There are different forms of consiousness; each person presumably has a different consciousness although they may be linked somehow or all different facets of one consiousness. In addition to the variation of consciousness among you humans there is the consciousness possessed by other beings (cats, computers, ETs, etc), which are all presumably different.

This definiton of consciousness does not (to my knowledge) imply that it is necessarily physically based/originated/propogated or necessarily non-physically based/originated/propogated. Agruments for the physicality (or nonphysicality) of consciousness that depend on the definiton of consciousness leading to that conclusion, and the two sides using different definitions to suit their desires, have no meaning for me.

RingoKid said:
So am I the first then ?

No, because you haven't done it.

BTW I think you mean brains instead of minds. Connections have always been there but you probably wouldn't recognize them if science is your God ...

No, I meant "minds".

It takes 2 to argue and no one seems to be arguing with me on my speculation of a repository for consciousness in a compactified dimension of string theory.

It only takes one person to present an argument: the claimant.

The only argument I'm getting is from you on the method in which I invite argument by stating what I believe to be true as a statement of fact.

The argument you're getting from me is that you present no reason whatsoever to believe that your statements are indeed factual.

I don't have to prove I'm right to anybody,

You have to argue your case if you want it to remain at Physics Forums.

however you seem to have to prove I'm wrong to everybody so just keep pissing in the wind Tom.

I can't believe you still don't get it.

I repeat:

Tom Mattson said:
Your reading comprehension skills need work. At no point have I ever denied your metaphysical propositions. I have explained this to you repeatedly, and no matter how many times I say it you just don't seem to get it. I can explain myself to you as clearly as I can, but I can't understand for you. That takes mental effort on your part.

Back to your claims: What I do deny is that you have any justification for holding forth your metaphysical claims.

Tom Mattson said:
No one has ever extrapolated the most fundamental known physical entities and interactions to a model of consciousness. In fact, no one has ever given a satisfactory account of consciousness that is purely physical. And the connection between consciousness and quantum theory is something that exists only in pop science literature, and in the minds of those who only know science at the popular level.
I would appreciate any comments you might have on a hypothesis which makes sense to me. I think it has some similarities to Ringo's, and it has some similarities to Berkeley's, although I don't ascribe any of the attributes to God that Berkeley does. Here is my hypothesis along with definitions for some of the terms I will use.

Definition: 'Consciousness' is the personal experience that I (the author of this post) have of perceiving, conceiving, remembering and willing, along with the experience of knowing that I have the capability to experience those four things. To the extent that there may be others (in particular, you, Tom and other readers of this post) who might experience consciousness, it seems reasonable and acceptable to me for them to define 'consciousness' from their own personal points of view rather than from mine. I think it is safe to assume that the different experiences of consciousness we share are similar enough to consider them to be the same type of thing.

Definition: 'Thought' is any and all information available to consciousness and which is associated with perception, conception, recall, or intent.

Hypothesis: The only thing that exists in reality is a single finite consciousness with its thoughts.

Extrapolation to physical entities: We can account for the existence of physical reality as patterns in the thoughts of the single finite consciousness. The basic strategy for this extrapolation is given by John Wheeler's "It from bit". That is, the trend in the identification of the fundamental constituents of matter and energy seems to point in the direction of those constituents being nothing more than information, i.e. vector spaces with the characteristics of fields, and sets of numbers (coordinates within the vector spaces along with quantum numbers) with the characteristics of particles. Therefore, since thoughts are information, and since these constituents are information, it is no stretch to suppose that physical reality in total is nothing but thoughts in that consciousness.

Connection between consciousness and quantum theory: Being one who knows science only at the popular level, I will look to you to straighten me out on this, Tom.

From what I understand, the outcome of certain physical interactions is indeterminate within some range of uncertainty, and that the actual outcome of any such event is "random", meaning unpredictable by human minds or instruments.

If you assume my hypothesis, then what we call physical interactions actually take place in the single consciousness as transformations of certain information which is associated with the particles and fields involved in the particular interactions. The range of uncertainty of the outcome of a particular quantum interaction allows the possibility for at least two mechanisms: 1. The single consciousness may use some type of randomizing algorithm to determine the outcome (God playing dice, in Einstein's terms), and 2. The single consciousness may exercise some amount of deliberate choice in determining the outcome of a particular interaction. Both of these make sense to me.

The explanation of the appearance of consciousness in association with brains is fairly straightforward. In the direction of brain to consciousness, as required for perception of physical phenomena, the only required mechanism would be for consciousness to be able to access, or attend to, certain of the patterns of information (thought) already present. That would seem to be a given.

In the other direction, i.e. from consciousness to brain, as in the initiation and execution of willful acts, some cause for some physical actions must be induced by conscious thought. Those initial actions, then, could cause a cascade of further actions eventually resulting in a pattern of firing of certain neurons, thus causing muscle action and all the consequences of that. The only mystery is how deliberate thoughts could cause the initial actions without breaking the laws of physics. With my admittedly naive understanding of quantum mechanics, I would like to humbly suggest that those initial actions might be putative "random" quantum events, which in reality would not be random but instead deliberately and consciously chosen. Given my hypothesis, this mechanism would also be straightforward.

As for the specific initial physical actions which might precipitate the chain of events culminating in a free-will-induced action, I think Penrose and Hammeroff have suggested a good possibility: the "flipping" of bi-stable dimers which are the fundamental molecular constituents of the microtubules in the neurons. I will leave it to them to elaborate on the details of how this might work.

I would appreciate anyone who will point out errors in my discussion or who will show how the problems raised by this hypothesis are any more difficult than the "hard problems" of explaining how consciousness can emerge from physical structures or how any physical structures might come into existence in the first place.

Happy New Year to all,

Paul

That is, the trend in the identification of the fundamental constituents of matter and energy seems to point in the direction of those constituents being nothing more than information, i.e. vector spaces with the characteristics of fields, and sets of numbers (coordinates within the vector spaces along with quantum numbers) with the characteristics of particles.Therefore, since thoughts are information, and since these constituents are information, it is no stretch to suppose that physical reality in total is nothing but thoughts in that consciousness.

I'm not sure about this explanation. We give them coordinates and numbers to describe what they are so information can be used to describe anything. I would think our thoughts on the other hand are memories stored inside neurons that reside in the physical world (our brain). Our thoughts about say a book on my desk is a very very rough approximations of what actually lies there. There is an endless amount of detail (information) that can extrapolated from what's inside this book and what's on my desk, ie the actual particles in it, etc. and i think it's a stretch to say 'since these constituents are information'. I realize as I write this I'm not in total disagreement =), but rather interested in finding out how you want go about filling some gaps. I do agree that reality probably resemble more close to what we think of information versus what we think of things existing physically.

1. The single consciousness may use some type of randomizing algorithm to determine the outcome (God playing dice, in Einstein's terms),

The only mystery is how deliberate thoughts could cause the initial actions without breaking the laws of physics.

It could be possible, as I've posted previously, that the unpredictable firing of neurons in our brains could be attributed by springs. Springs move in 10 dimensions so that's 6 more dimensions left to our imagination. They also have quantum jitters that's unpredictable (it seems that small things all got the jitters.. sit still damnit!). It's possible that our brains are sensitive to what goes on with very very tiny constituents of our universe.

But even if this was the case, I'm not sure if it explains why is it that I get to experience what I'm experiencing right now. I was just thinking isn't there a simpler answer to "What is Consciousness?" Someone should of just said, "what your experiencing right now" and closed this damn forum. jk jk jk

properties of matter and existence

sid_galt said:
According to quantum physics, the properties of an electron depend on observation not the existence itself.

Can something exist and not have any properties? Existence implies properties. In order to make an observation something must have at least a quantitative property even if the qualitative property cannot be given. If the properties of the electron depend on observation, then it's existence depends also on observation (including measurement and methods of measuremnet). Heisenberg uses the term "potentia" for the electron before it exhibits a property. (Werner Heisenberg, Physics and Philosophy: The Evolution in Modern Science.)

loseyourname said:

Perhaps the interpretations that I made are a bit contentious but have certainly been talked about. This is especially true of those who have not simply accepted the Copenhagen interpretation (Neils Bohr). Some physicist see a need for a comprehensive theory which includes an understanding of consciousness if there is going to be a unified field theory which brings together quantum theory, relativity, quantum gravity, etc.(Roger Penrose). For some scientist who have a philosophical bent, we have come full circle if we try to use quantum reality to describe consciousness because consciousness ends up as a rather primitive component.

Esnas said:
sid_galt said:

Can something exist and not have any properties? Existence implies properties. In order to make an observation something must have at least a quantitative property even if the qualitative property cannot be given. If the properties of the electron depend on observation, then it's existence depends also on observation (including measurement and methods of measuremnet). Heisenberg uses the term "potentia" for the electron before it exhibits a property. (Werner Heisenberg, Physics and Philosophy: The Evolution in Modern Science.)

Sorry, I meant value of properties, not properties themselves. For e.g. in an atom, we may not be knowing the properties of an electron in the atom but the existence of that electron is not in question.
That is what I meant when I said that existence does not depend on observation or that the fact that we have observed an electron or not has no effect on whether it exists.

Note that I do not know a lot of quantum physics so I may be way of the mark here.

loseyourname said:
Why not ask the people that actually know?

Then again, by my own admission, I really have no idea what I'm talking about with respect to this matter. For that reason, I've linked Fliption's post to a thread in the Quantum Physics forum and, with any luck, someone who does know what she is talking about can help us out.

Here is the thread.

I hope you realize that I've already thought of this. I do understand that the philosophy forum isn't the place to get an understanding of Quantum Physics. I think what you'll find from your thread in the QM forum is more disagreement and no real consensus as it relates to what the word "observation" means. Even if a small consensus develops, it will not address results of various experiments. I've already been down this road. But I'll gladly follow along, in case I'm wrong.

Here's the latest link where I've had this conversation.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=24534

Last edited:
Did Moses violate physics when he parted the Red Sea? Or is it that non Earth based reality governs all? Was the big bang just an accident? If what we call God actually
Infinite Energy? Is it possible for a brain operating at the alpha frequency/voltage to perceive any of the higher vibrations/realities. A clue: Delta>Theta brain wave state
will lead you to these other realities. That is the interface. peace.

Fliption said:
I think what you'll find from your thread in the QM forum is more disagreement and no real consensus as it relates to what the word "observation" means.

Oh, I know. That was exactly my point about people drawing metaphysical conclusions from physics experiments. The metaphysical hypotheses formed are not themselves testable and so we end up with nothing but opinions being thrown back and forth, sometimes with relatively well-constructed arguments to back them up. What we don't get is any real knowledge.

~ Thinking is a Form of Feeling ~

satya said:
I don't know if there is anything absolute - realization might vary.
What I am writing here is all truth to me.
I practiced meditation from 1987 - I have a weird experience once - It was december 2000 Austin, Seton centre pkwy.. at my apt.. I was meditating on the floor and no drug effect the time was 12:20AM - Its all about isolation - I was concentrating on a concept that:: "something that changes is not my soul - anything that changes is part of nature surrounding me" - I do not exist on the skin, neither on flesh or blood nor even Na+ ion movement across synapses communicating electrical pulses in my brain - I am beyond - I was trying to focus my mind little above my head - as if i am outside the body and just there 2 inches above my head - maybe couple of hours passed - and all what I got is a point of light - that gradually got enlarged and was all around me - then "consciousness" regained slowly - I still felt I have the body - I am sorry to say, for this was the first time I got scared - for I was unable to open my eyes - I was unable to move any of my limb - though I was wishing strongly I that I am breathing - but I was not sure that I was breathing or not - there was nobody else at the house - I was willing I have a hand a leg - LOL - slowly enough I got back myself as a breathing human being - but by that time it was already morning 6:30AM and I have my -dead-cold legs - you know, I felt like due to something I had no blood circulation on my legs and arms.
I concluded that consciousness is all about being in this space time.

~ Feeling is a Form of Thinking ~

armrecon123 wrote
~ Feeling is a Form of Thinking ~

Is it though? This would seem to depend on our definitions. I would draw the line that a potential A.I. can think but would never be able to feel.

Amir, when you stated"
"“The Soul” you are talking about does not exist, consciousness / awareness “is” the chemical reaction going on / in your biological brain hardware." did you ever take into consideration what might motivate the chemical reactions that are consciousness and awaerness which are essentially judgement. Without any internal motivation we simply would not judge and would be listless organisms. Our "Soul" is what motivates us to do right and wrong, if our judgement was simply based on chemical reactions taking place in the brain then there would be no point for a punishment system, we would just chemically alter the thoughts of a convict to cease doing wrong and to begin doing right. We cannot do that though, that is what our soul is, internal motivation to react to the rest of the world through judgement, consciousness and awareness.

Hi,

I pretty much know the source of my existence is not physical and has multi-demensional extent. Experience has provided the data for me. Although the experiences can be doubted and other explanantions provided, I am sure enough to state this as more than just a belief.

juju

juju said:
I pretty much know the source of my existence is not physical and has multi-demensional extent. Experience has provided the data for me. Although the experiences can be doubted and other explanantions provided, I am sure enough to state this as more than just a belief.

Eh. I do not believe there can be any absolute proof, as each person's experiences are subjective. The fact that you are aware of your own existence is enough proof for you to logically state "I exist". However, that is not proof that others that you interact with exist, or that the world with which you interact is real.

The point is, we cannot absolutely prove the reality of our own experiences. Not to ourselves, because we are by nature subjective, and therefore prejudiced towards our own viewpoint; nor to others because the experience itself is subjective, and further we have no absolute proof of the existence of anyone else. For more on this theme, read "The Mysterious Stranger" by Mark Twain.

A good example of subjective experience is color. How do we know that what we have been told is "red" and what we see is the same as the "red" that others see? They may choose the same crayon from the box, but only because that is what their experience has taught them to do. But is it truly "red" in an absolute sense? Do I know that the other person is not seeing what I perceive to be green? They could be daltonic, who knows. We cannot prove the reality of our experience of "red". That's that.

Jeebus said:
Eh. I do not believe there can be any absolute proof, as each person's experiences are subjective. The fact that you are aware of your own existence is enough proof for you to logically state "I exist". However, that is not proof that others that you interact with exist, or that the world with which you interact is real.

I think you've created a strawman there. He didn't say anything about creating an absolute proof for you or others. He said nothing about others existing, or if the world is real. He said he was certain, for himself, that the "source of my existence is not physical and has multi-demensional extent."

Jeebus said:
The point is, we cannot absolutely prove the reality of our own experiences. Not to ourselves, because we are by nature subjective, and therefore prejudiced towards our own viewpoint; nor to others because the experience itself is subjective, and further we have no absolute proof of the existence of anyone else.

I am sure you know this, but even an "objective" proof is 100% subjective-dependent. It's just that we can compare notes when it comes to external reality, and we can't for what's internal to us.

The problem of prejudice never seems to go away, even in the science-minded. People tend to filter out things that don't support their world view. And if their world view happens to be physicalism, you can bet your bottom dollar plenty of them are being "subjective" as you are describing.

Yet you cannot assume everyone must be prejudiced. Most people are, but there are some who work hard to eliminate it. Your general assumptions about the "norm" have to be applied carefully when considering the claims of an individual.

Jeebus said:
A good example of subjective experience is color. How do we know that what we have been told is "red" and what we see is the same as the "red" that others see? They may choose the same crayon from the box, but only because that is what their experience has taught them to do. But is it truly "red" in an absolute sense? Do I know that the other person is not seeing what I perceive to be green? They could be daltonic, who knows.

Yes, but so what? He isn't talking about the accuracy of sense perception, or the distorted interpretations that can come from senses perceiving only part of the picture. He's talking about his experience of his own consciousness.

Jeebus said:
We cannot prove the reality of our experience of "red". That's that.

It doesn't matter about color, and it doesn't matter what he can "objectively" prove, for his statement to be credible. He is saying his experience, the same exact experiential ability which is the foundation of empiricism, has convinced him of something. Why does he need to be concerned if he can prove it to anyone else? I know I don't care one bit about proving my personal experience to others. I am content to experience and know for myself.

If I say turning my attention inward tells me something, I cannot possibly prove that. But you can try it yourself and investigate that way. You just can't investigate ME.

Of course, if I decide to communicate, then I do have an obligation, but it isn't to prove something that cannot be objectively proven. I believe it is to make sense and to support my statements with as much experience and evidence as possible.

Last edited:
Jeebus said:
Eh. I do not believe there can be any absolute proof

I didn't say anything about absolute proof. Just that what I have is more than just a belief.

There are no absolute proofs of anything. There is only experiential data that points in one direction or another. If the pointers are strong enough in one direction then the conclusion is more than just a belief.

On many questions the pointers can point in more than one direction at the same time. These cases require further data.

Absolute proof, for me at least, will have to wait until the death of my present physical body occurs, or I leave it permanently.

juju