How Do Particles Interact in Quantum Field Theory?

In summary, the coupling between two fields in QFT is represented by a term in the Lagrangian where the fields are multiplied together. This can be seen as an interaction between the fields, with electrically charged particles coupling to the electromagnetic field and neutral particles not coupling to it. In classical electrodynamics, we say particles are acted upon by fields rather than coupled to them.
BucketOfFish
I'm an experimentalist, so go easy on me... What does it mean for a particle to either couple or not couple to a field? I haven't taken a class in QFT yet, so please try to explain the general idea without any details or equations!

Physics news on Phys.org
As an experimentalist as well, my working understanding is that you may replace "couple" with "interact". E.g. W± couples with the electromagnetic field = W± interacts with the electromagnetic field.

Likes BucketOfFish
In the Lagrangian, the coupling between two fields is a term in which the two fields are multiplied together. A free scalar field has only up to quadratic terms, so if one adds cubic or higher order terms, those are sometimes said to be self-interaction terms. http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/tong/qft/three.pdf gives an example of a self-interaction term (Eq 3.5), and an example of an interaction between two different types of fields (3.7)

Likes BucketOfFish
BucketOfFish said:
I'm an experimentalist, so go easy on me... What does it mean for a particle to either couple or not couple to a field? I haven't taken a class in QFT yet, so please try to explain the general idea without any details or equations!

An example: particles with electric charge couple to the electromagnetic field. Electrically neutral particles do not couple to the electromagnetic field.

BucketOfFish said:

The terminology is rather: free fields couple to each other, while particles interact with each other. So in QFT to say <a particle couples to a field> is illegal. Within classical electrodynamics we say <particles are acted upon by electromagnetic fields>.

1. What is coupling in quantum field theory (QFT)?

Coupling in QFT refers to the interaction between particles or fields in a quantum field theory. It describes how these particles or fields interact and exchange energy and momentum with each other.

2. How does coupling affect the behavior of particles in QFT?

Coupling determines the strength of the interaction between particles or fields. A stronger coupling means that the particles or fields are more strongly connected and have a greater effect on each other's behavior.

3. What is the difference between strong and weak coupling in QFT?

Strong coupling refers to a situation where the interaction between particles or fields is very strong, while weak coupling describes a weaker interaction. In QFT, these terms are used to describe the strength of the strong and weak nuclear forces that govern the behavior of subatomic particles.

4. How is coupling quantified in QFT?

Coupling is quantified by a dimensionless constant known as the coupling constant. This constant is a parameter in the equations of the theory and determines the strength of the interaction between particles or fields.

5. Can coupling in QFT be modified or changed?

Yes, coupling can be modified or changed by applying certain techniques and methods in QFT, such as renormalization, which allows for the adjustment of the coupling constant to account for the effects of higher-order interactions.