Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is coupling in QFT?

1. Nov 16, 2014 #1
    I'm an experimentalist, so go easy on me... What does it mean for a particle to either couple or not couple to a field? I haven't taken a class in QFT yet, so please try to explain the general idea without any details or equations!
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2014 #2

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

As an experimentalist as well, my working understanding is that you may replace "couple" with "interact". E.g. W± couples with the electromagnetic field = W± interacts with the electromagnetic field.
  4. Nov 16, 2014 #3

Science Advisor

In the Lagrangian, the coupling between two fields is a term in which the two fields are multiplied together. A free scalar field has only up to quadratic terms, so if one adds cubic or higher order terms, those are sometimes said to be self-interaction terms. http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/tong/qft/three.pdf gives an example of a self-interaction term (Eq 3.5), and an example of an interaction between two different types of fields (3.7)
  5. Nov 17, 2014 #4
    An example: particles with electric charge couple to the electromagnetic field. Electrically neutral particles do not couple to the electromagnetic field.
  6. Nov 17, 2014 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The terminology is rather: free fields couple to each other, while particles interact with each other. So in QFT to say <a particle couples to a field> is illegal. Within classical electrodynamics we say <particles are acted upon by electromagnetic fields>.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook