1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is differential equation of spring-mass system attached to one end of seesaw

1. Aug 31, 2009 #1
    case 1: Seesaw is balanced with its fulcrum point or pivotal point. At one end of seesaw, the spring (with spring constant K1) is attached. Now the seesaw has total mass M which is attached to spring, form a spring-mass system. I confuse on this point that the oscillation of seesaw will be around pivotal point. Then what is differential equation of spring-mass system.

case 2: The same case with both ends of Seesaw is attached with springs having spring constant K1 and K2. Then what is differential equation of this system.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2009 #2
    1) What equations would be relevant to this problem?

2) What have you tried to do to solve it so far?

3) Hint: Can you derive an Equation of Motion for a simple mass-spring system (without a seesaw)? If so, can you consider the motion of the seesaw with the mass-spring system as a superposition of simple harmonic motion?

I cannot visualize your seesaw-spring system. If you can describe it better (or link to a picture), maybe I can help more.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook