Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is dispersion measure

1. May 31, 2013 #1
    I read some papers on astrophysics and they discussed dispersion measure.
    Is there any theoretic meaning of dispersion measure? And what does the unit pc/cm^3 mean?

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. Jun 2, 2013 #3
  5. Jun 2, 2013 #4
    1pc/cm^3 = 30.857×10^21 m^−2
    So there is 30*10^21 electrons per m^2?

Why we use pc/cm^3 instead of m^-2?

6. Jun 2, 2013 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You can use any units you like as like as you are representing the same quantity.
    The dimensions are inverse area - astronomers keep the "parsecs" separated out to make calculations using DM, which will involve dividing by the distance to a star (in parsecs), easier to do.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  7. Jun 2, 2013 #6
    Thank you for your reply.

8. Jun 5, 2013 #7
    Hello Nenyan,

Is it speaking of just dispersion or velocity dispersion using 'sigma?' Velocity dispersion is used to measure the mean velocity of galaxy and clusters. So which one it is?

9. Jun 6, 2013 #8

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

There are some clues in the first post that tell you which was meant... i.e the word "measure" instead of "velocity" with the word "dispersion" but that could have been a mistake so looking further ... there's the units asked about in connection to dispersion measure as well (what are the units of velocity dispersion?) ... then there is the fact that he didn't immediately reply with "no no no that's not the one I meant" after my answer ;)

Note: as you know, in English, some nouns can have two words.
    The sentence "what is dispersion measure?" is different from "what does dispersion measure?"
    In the first case, "measure" is part of the noun.

To avoid this sort of confusion, one places the noun in quotes when asking about it:
    "What is 'dispersion measure'?"

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook