1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: What is E(t) = wNBAsin(wt)

1. Feb 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Where can I find the defintion of the varaibles? I know w is the angular velocity, A is the Area, and t is time. but what are NB? is B the feild strength? If that is so, then what is N?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi lampshader! :wink:

Number of turns? :smile:

4. Feb 12, 2010 #3
    Number of cycles?

If I were to calculate the angular velocity; w = number of 'turns' / time it makes the 'turns'.

So the denominator is used again as B in, E(t) = wNBAsin(wt)?

Thanks! =)

5. Feb 12, 2010 #4
    I thought that, when I open my simulation (homework assignment), their are default values and a peak voltage is displayed. So, when I use the equation: E(t) = wNBAsin(wt); and calculate by subsituting in the default values, I am not getting the displayed peak voltage. Ya know?

6. Feb 12, 2010 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi lampshader! :smile:

(have an omega: ω :wink:)
    ah … now i see …

no, ω isn't a geometrical angular velocity, it's the frequency, of the variable magnetic field, Bcos(ωt).

So the magnetic flux is φ = NBAcos(ωt), and the emf is E(t) = dφ/dt = ωNBAsin(ωt). :smile:

(And N is the number of loops of the wire round the area A)

7. Feb 12, 2010 #6
    Thanks, I appreciate your time.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook