Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is energy?

1. Oct 12, 2004 #1
    What is energy? at it's very core?
    is matter madeup of energy?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2004 #2
    energy is a concept created by humans to describe things we see. kinda like math... math doesn't really exist.. it's just a concept, but it can be used to explain things and predict things. does that make sense to ya?
  4. Oct 14, 2004 #3
    Helllo, Microburst!
    This is one of questions more curious of Physics, by the way, this question is in my journal, visit it, you can give your opinion! Actually, nobody doesn't know what's energy; what we do it is to analyze the results caused by energy.
    I advice that you look for the book: Feymann's lectures on the Physics v.1, the Prof. Richard Feymann makes interesting analogy between energy and blocks of toy.
  5. Oct 14, 2004 #4

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have another similar question:

What do the clouds smell of?

Both have similar answers. :smile:
  6. Oct 14, 2004 #5

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A simplified definition of energy (which may be helpful in getting a conceptual toe-hold, but is not at all complete, because a complete answer to this question could go on for decades):

Energy is the ability to cause a change in one's self or surroundings.
    Energy can only be detected as it changes from one form into another
    The total amount of energy (in all forms) in a closed system always remains constant.

THis is, I repeat, a good place to start, but does not completely answer the question. Kastarov's reference to Feynman's lecture is a good one; I second that recommendation!
  7. Oct 15, 2004 #6
    E = mc^2 :biggrin: it seems matter is made up of lots of potential energy, but you need lots of energy to get it out. :rolleyes: (unless you are an unstable radioactive kind of mass with loose electrons.)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2004
  8. Oct 18, 2004 #7
    Would it be true to say that energy is the emission, or potential emission, of radiation caused by the interaction between particles?
    If so then this would be true of matter/matter, antimatter/antimatter or matter/antimatter interactions.
  9. Oct 19, 2004 #8
    :yuck: (Maybe they don't understand your sarcastic because that pathetical TVspot is only ours)
  10. Oct 19, 2004 #9
    Nobody knows.

11. Oct 19, 2004 #10
    Well, a very basic definition of energy goes: ENERGY is the ability to do work. Very primitive to fellows like you who don't suffice with such simplicity. Physicists now believe everything around us is energy (correct me if I'm wrong, please) and matter is just huge density of energy, nothing else.
  12. Oct 19, 2004 #11
    Energy is mankind's method to explain how the universe works

(oh, someday someone will include this phrase in a quote book as MINE lol)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?