Gaining Insight into Energy Conservation: A New Perspective

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of energy and how it is conserved. The speaker explains that they understand energy as the total force needed to get a mass to its current position and speed. This applies to kinetic and potential energy, and the total energy depends on the reference point. The other person agrees and adds that it is important to consider changes in energy, not just the total energy. They also share a website that discusses the topic further.
daniel_i_l
Gold Member
I was thinking about that question (what is energy) and I realized that I could easily understand what energy is and why it is conserved if I thought of it as the total force needed to get a mass to the position that it is in. For example:

Kinetic energy - inorder to give a mass speed you need to accelerate it, the force would be F = ma, and the integral of mad(x) is m*a*x = m * a * 1/2at^2 = m * 1/2a^2t^2 = 1/2mv^2
Potential energy - F = mg (the same as KE) and the integral of mgd(x) is m*g*x (mgh) This is true for other kinds of energy too. So really the energy of a mass is simply the sum of all the forces needed to get it to the position and speed that it is in (this is why work is the change in energy). And that is why energy is always conserved if you don't add any external forces to it - cause if you don't add any force then the total force (energy)will always stay the same. (this isn't a new theory or anything, just a way of looking at things)
So, is this obvious and I'm stupid for not noticing it before , interesting but not connected to reality, enlightning...

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this true?

Yes, your logic is fine. No, it's not stupid or obvious. Everybody has a point in time where they figure out a way to think of it that makes complete sense to them. Congratulations:).

here i would like to suggest a site tell me what u think http://home.pacifier.com/~ppenn/whatis2.html

daniel_i_l said:
I was thinking about that question (what is energy) and I realized that I could easily understand what energy is and why it is conserved if I thought of it as the total force needed to get a mass to the position that it is in. For example:
Kinetic energy - inorder to give a mass speed you need to accelerate it, the force would be F = ma, and the integral of mad(x) is m*a*x = m * a * 1/2at^2 = m * 1/2a^2t^2 = 1/2mv^2
This will give you the change in kinetic energy, but not the total kinetic energy, since the initial velocity of the body is not considered here. m*a*x = F*x which is work - i.e. the work done by an unbalanced force accelerating a body over a distance of x is equal to the change in the body's kinetic energy. Likewise in your potential example, the work done in moving a body from one equipotential to another is equal to the change in potential energy. So just be aware that you're dealing with changes in energy, not total mechanical energy.

Thanks guys!
Yes, I was aware that I was only dealing with the changes - the total energy depends in were you start from, or were your referance spot is.

1. What is the concept of energy conservation?

The concept of energy conservation is the practice of reducing the amount of energy used to accomplish a task or activity without sacrificing the quality of the outcome. It involves being mindful of the amount of energy we consume and taking steps to minimize waste and maximize efficiency.

2. Why is energy conservation important?

Energy conservation is important for several reasons. First, it helps to reduce our carbon footprint and mitigate the effects of climate change. Second, it can save us money by reducing energy costs. Third, it helps to preserve natural resources and maintain ecological balance. Lastly, it promotes sustainable living and a more efficient use of resources for future generations.

3. What are some effective ways to conserve energy?

There are many ways to conserve energy, including using energy-efficient appliances, turning off lights and electronics when not in use, adjusting thermostats to reduce heating and cooling needs, and using renewable energy sources. Other effective measures include insulating homes and buildings, using public transportation or carpooling, and practicing energy-saving habits, such as taking shorter showers and washing clothes in cold water.

4. How can gaining insight into energy conservation benefit society?

Gaining insight into energy conservation can benefit society in several ways. It can help to reduce our reliance on fossil fuels and decrease our carbon emissions, leading to a healthier environment. It can also create job opportunities in the renewable energy sector. Additionally, it can improve energy security and reduce energy costs, making energy more accessible to all members of society.

5. What are some potential challenges in promoting energy conservation?

One potential challenge in promoting energy conservation is changing consumer behavior and habits. It may also require significant investment in technology and infrastructure. Additionally, there may be opposition from industries that rely heavily on fossil fuels. Another challenge is the lack of awareness and education about energy conservation, which can be addressed through effective communication and education initiatives.