It's immediate use is that it's the integral of a gaussian distribution, so it's directly applicable to statistical problems.
More generally, I understand that a lot of nonelementary functions can be expressed in terms of combinations of elementary functions and error functions, so erf expands the expressive power of closed forms.
We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving