What is Evidence? How to Handle It Beyond Our Minds

• Thread starter Iacchus32
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Evidence
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of evidence and its relation to the experiential mind. The speakers question if it is possible to know anything outside of what the mind perceives and how to handle evidence in a way that is objective. They also briefly mention the idea of a "humoid," a mind that has never been exposed to external information, and how this relates to the concept of evidence. The conversation ends with a mention of David Hume's "Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding" and the idea that philosophy has become focused on refining the accuracy of our representations rather than questioning the premises of knowledge.
honestrosewater said:
Doctordick said:
All of this was to get down to one very simple statement: the first thing I want to define is, "the field of mathematics". I leave your understanding and facility in that area entirely to your personal "squirrel thought" capabilities. That is, I am essentially assuming that statements I make in mathematics are communicable; the procedures and relationships so expressed are "equivalent" in your world view and mine in spite of the fact that there might actually exist an alternate interpretation of that collective set of concepts and relationships. (And, if there are inconsistencies, people much more qualified than I am are already working hard to straighten it out.)
Okay, great. Define "the field of mathematics".
You have apparently missed my point entirely. It is probably my fault. I have examined peoples reaction to what I say carefully and have noticed that it is very difficult to get them to pay any attention to the issues I think are critical. I am at a loss as to how one gets them to think about these issues. The experience is very much like squeezing a bar of soap; as soon as I think I have constrained the issue to a specific fact, their attention spurts out to another subject. The best I can do is to repeat myself from another direction. Believe me I am seriously trying. Try reading

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=452793#post452793

I have tried to make it clear that the issue of definition is a result of intuitive correlation of massive amounts of information: i.e., each of us have, in our heads, meanings attached to the symbols we use. I have labeled the procedure by which we achieved that result "squirrel thought"; quantumcarl calls it "zen" and others just call it "intuition". I chose to put forth a new label for the simple reason that I wanted to bring to the forefront the fact that, although it is clearly the most successful and the most powerful mechanism" by which we can come to "know" anything, it is utterly impossible to prove that knowledge correct. I did that to avoid the ambiguity which would exist if I used the label "zen" or "intuition" (I don't want to mess with other peoples words).

When I said, 'the first thing I want to define is, "the field of mathematics"', what I meant was that I would regard "the field of mathematics" as a defined issue. What I am trying to do is create an accepted vocabulary which we can use to communicate. So long as we are stuck with common English, we cannot believe we are communicating; all we are really doing is exchanging vague nuances which can not (in general) ever be considered exact.

I have talked to philosophers before and, like that proverbial bar of soap, getting them to accept mathematics as a useful tool is almost impossible. The discussion always goes off into that never never land of "how do you know logic is rational?" Of course the correct answer is I don't; but that shouldn't be sufficient to stop one from thinking. The central point is that, so long as we are in the field of mathematics, the consequences of symbolized operations and procedures can be consistently be symbolized: i.e., we can get far reaching agreement on those consequences. Thus, whether mathematics is right or wrong is of no critical importance; what is important is that the vast majority of human beings will agree that they are agreeing. Agreement is the central measure of any real communication.

So, what I am saying to you is that I will accept "the field of mathematics" as an understood thing. In your own head, you can use any definitions of the terms, symbols, operation and consequences you wish and I will be willing to presume we are communicating (so long as the professionals in the field agree with any arguments you present using those meanings: i.e., you are up to snuff on what the mathematicians have concluded constitute "valid" mathematics).

The central issue here is to make no commitment to the idea that anything we "know" is correct! How do we do that and still communicate? Isn't that a fundamental problem in philosophy? I think I know what "evidence" is (or should be if we want to be exact) and I would like to discus the issue in an exact (scientific) manner; however, we need to agree on a vocabulary with which to communicate.

Looking to hear from you -- Dick

Physics news on Phys.org
Doctordick said:
When I said, 'the first thing I want to define is, "the field of mathematics"', what I meant was that I would regard "the field of mathematics" as a defined issue.
Oh, my fault. Go ahead, me :!) math. (I'm actually planning on returning to school and majoring in math.)

To honestrosewater!

honestrosewater said:
Oh, my fault. Go ahead, me :!) math. (I'm actually planning on returning to school and majoring in math.)
Sorry about not answering your post directly but I have already answered "saviourmachine" on the "Can Everything be Reduced to Pure Physics?"thread; and I think everything I have said to him goes directly to our conversation. Take a look at

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=453914#post453914

Perhaps it would be convenient to start a new thread combining the issues of these two threads, I certainly consider them to be very closely related. If you think that is true and a worthwhile step, I will follow your lead. :confused:

Have fun -- Dick

Doctordick said:
The central issue here is to make no commitment to the idea that anything we "know" is correct! How do we do that and still communicate? Isn't that a fundamental problem in philosophy? I think I know what "evidence" is (or should be if we want to be exact) and I would like to discus the issue in an exact (scientific) manner; however, we need to agree on a vocabulary with which to communicate.

Looking to hear from you -- Dick
Why so complicated as this? Is a hammer used for driving nails? If the Universe exists, and the truth about that Universe exists and, if we have a mind by which to assess these truths, what else is there to know, outside of what the mind knows? It all pretty much comes from the same place doesn't it?

Last edited:
Indeed, it's very important that we're "cognizant" to recognize the truth of anything. So, might I suggest that the key to unlocking the secrets of the Universe, plain and simple, resides within cognizance?

honestrosewater said:
Has someone won this game yet?

Not 'til one of use backs down. If you'd like that person to be me, it will be so.

Mentat said:
Not 'til one of use backs down. If you'd like that person to be me, it will be so.
Reading loseyourname's posts in your wrong turns thread, I thought we would agree. But now that I've this post, it sounds like you're a behaviorist. Regardless of the nature of mental states, I don't understand how you can deny they exist. So I guess we don't agree. We seem to just be talking past each other anyway. Perhaps we'll eventually understand what each other are saying, but I think we should just drop it for now. :smile:

honestrosewater said:
Reading loseyourname's posts in your wrong turns thread, I thought we would agree. But now that I've this post, it sounds like you're a behaviorist. Regardless of the nature of mental states, I don't understand how you can deny they exist. So I guess we don't agree. We seem to just be talking past each other anyway. Perhaps we'll eventually understand what each other are saying, but I think we should just drop it for now. :smile:

Not exactly a behaviorist, but something of a Wittgensteinian. However, the fact that I've been asking everyone here to define "mental states" for me -- and no one has thus far succeeded -- seems like a clear indication that I don't (yet?) hold that they exist. After all, I don't even know what they are, so how could I decide whether I think they are real?