Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is existence?

1. Jul 7, 2006 #1
    The recent topic is about existence.I do not want the precise deinition.But, want to know clearly, what does it mean.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2006 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The amazing Wikipedia again has an answer even to this question.

AM

4. Jul 8, 2006 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Like Madge, the astute manicurist, says, "You're soaking in it."

but I think this problem should go into the Philosophy forums, not Physics.

5. Jul 10, 2006 #4

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, Intro Physics is the place for homework questions, so I'm going to move this thread. Since it doesn't meet the Philosophy Guidelines I am going to move it to GD where you all can chit chat about existence.

6. Jul 10, 2006 #5

wolram

Gold Member

Information, micro and macro.

7. Jul 11, 2006 #6
    I had a look at that wikipedia thread, my God existence is sentence structure, and discussing meaning in words, so before language we could not of existed!!!:wink: Ontology is obviously for pedants without any imagination, or am I missing something here? I must admit I couldn't read that link without losing focus on reality.:yuck:

existence is not anything in that wikipedia article that much I do know.:biggrin:

8. Jul 11, 2006 #7

Danger

Gold Member

Just substitute 'existence' for 'life' in the old saying; it's what happens while you're busy making other plans.

9. Jul 11, 2006 #8
    I have been around the sun 43 times and it appears to me that existence is some sort of learning process.

10. Jul 12, 2006 #9

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you are just getting dizzy :rofl: :rofl:

I temporarily cause a local reduction in entropy, therefore I am. :biggrin:

11. Jul 12, 2006 #10

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What isn't existence?

But seriously, here's a good quote that I find a bit of a mind-trip:

"A fish cannot comprehend the existence of water. He is too deeply immersed in it."

-Sir Oliver Lodge

Another good thought:
    Can a computer program ever have a conscious understanding of the computer running it?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2006
  12. Jul 13, 2006 #11
    Depends on the program, with enough sophistication you may as well ask the question: does a human being have a conception of the neural circuitry that runs it? Think HAL for example from 2000: a space odyssey, he was self aware. Not beyond the bounds of conception is it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?