What Is Fire: Exploring Plasma & More

• Thread starter MR
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fire
In summary, fire is a chemical reaction that releases energy in the form of heat. The colors in the flame are caused by excited electrons moving to more stable orbitals and are dependent on the chemicals present in the fuel. The color of the coals is determined by the temperature of the fire.
MR
What is fire? I learned once upon a time that it's plasma, but that doesn't really get me anywhere... why is it colored/shaped the way it is/etc etc etc?
:bugeye:
thanx folks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I asked both my physics teachers this a few weeks back.
I think i remember one of them saying that it was excited electrons, but i forgot what the other one said :frown:

about the colour, i think its related to the temperature of whatever is being set on fire, a higher temperature flame will be giving out more energy, therefore changing the colour of the flame.

Here are a few links to other threads about flame.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=51098&highlight=flame
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=39910&highlight=flame
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=28250&highlight=flame

Fire is the result of a chemical reaction. This reaction releases energy in the form of heat, the released heat, vaporizes chemicals in the fuel, these vapors are composed of energetic molecules which form the flame. The colors in the flame are created as excited electrons cascade to more stable orbitals within the molecular and or atomic structure. Thus the color of the flame is dependent on the chemicals present in the fuel.

The color of the coals on the other hand is essentially black body radiation, the color is determined by the temperature of the fire.

thanks, Integral!

1. What is fire and how is it created?

Fire is a chemical reaction that occurs when fuel (such as wood, gas, or paper) combines with oxygen and is ignited by heat. This process is known as combustion.

2. Is fire a solid, liquid, or gas?

Technically, fire is not considered a solid, liquid, or gas. It is actually a plasma, which is a state of matter that is created when a gas is heated to extremely high temperatures and becomes ionized.

3. How hot is fire?

The temperature of fire can vary depending on the fuel and amount of oxygen present. Generally, a small flame can reach temperatures of around 600-800 degrees Celsius, while larger fires can reach temperatures of over 1000 degrees Celsius.

4. Can fire exist in space?

No, fire cannot exist in space because there is no oxygen to sustain the combustion process. However, some materials can still burn in a vacuum due to the oxygen they contain within their molecules.

5. What are some common examples of plasma other than fire?

Some examples of plasma include lightning, neon lights, and the aurora borealis (northern lights). Plasma can also be found in stars, the sun, and other celestial bodies.