1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is Fnet?

1. Jan 17, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] What is Fnet?

I am given a problem with an initial velocity then a final velocity, the weight and how long it took to change that velocity. They want us to get the change in momentum, but I don't know how to compute the Fnet to use in the equation. Any suggestions on the steps I should take?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

To find the change in momentum, just calculate the final momentum and the initial momentum and find the difference. (Remember that momentum is a vector, so direction counts.)

What's the definition of momentum?
  4. Jan 17, 2008 #3
    Thank you Doc Al for replying.

Momentum is p = (gamma)(mass)(velocity)

Having said that I still don't understand how to compute Fnet given two vectors, a mass, and a time.

I would just like to know how to compute the net force, Fnet, given the circumstances.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  5. Jan 17, 2008 #4

Doc Al

Is this a question about relativistic dynamics? Or ordinary non-relativistic physics?

Are you familiar with the impulse-momentum theorem? Impulse
  6. Jan 17, 2008 #5
    Actually I was not.

That link for impulse might help me out.

The force average is the mass(change in velocity)/(change in time).

The question is as follows:(took out number, substitiued x so you can't solve it for me so i can try to figure it out)
    You were driving a car with velocity <x, x, x> m/s. You quickly turned and braked, and your velocity became <x, 0, x> m/s. The mass of the car was x kg. The maneuver took x seconds. What was the average net (vector) force acting on the car?

So to get that do i just use the force average formula?
  7. Jan 17, 2008 #6

Doc Al

Yes, that will work. Take care to find the change in velocity correctly (subtract them as vectors).
  8. Jan 17, 2008 #7
    Thank you very much Doc.

I solved the equation thanks to your help and now know what Fnet is. You are awesome.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?