What Is Food Energy? | Understanding How Our Body Harvests Energy

In summary: It's also interesting to note that the body can only create so much ATP at once, and that it needs to consume that ATP quickly in order to keep up with the demands of the cells.
zoobyshoe
I am vaguely aware that the food we eat constitutes a sort of fuel that can be thought of as "calories" for comparative purposes, but I don't really have any idea how the body takes this fuel and harvests energy from it.

A certain amount of the calories we eat have to go to maintaining body temperature but the food obviously isn't combusted in any conventional sense. So, one thing I'm wondering where the heat actually comes from.

The other is how food is turned to muscle contractions that allow us to move ourselves and other things.

Biology news on Phys.org
zoobyshoe said:
I am vaguely aware that the food we eat constitutes a sort of fuel that can be thought of as "calories" for comparative purposes, but I don't really have any idea how the body takes this fuel and harvests energy from it.

A certain amount of the calories we eat have to go to maintaining body temperature but the food obviously isn't combusted in any conventional sense. So, one thing I'm wondering where the heat actually comes from.

The other is how food is turned to muscle contractions that allow us to move ourselves and other things.

Since nobody more expert has answered this, I'll take a shot. The "burning" is still oxydation, in the sense that an oxygen atom gets tacked onto a molecule, but rather than Avogadro's number of oxygen atoms getting tacked onto different molecules all at once, this biological oxydation happpens at the retail level. If you look up glycolysis on wiki, you will see a series of chemical reactions that break down glucose by shoving oxygen and other groups around from molecule to molecule, and use the energy harvested from this process to force a third phosporus atom (or maybe it's a whole phosphate group) onto adenosine diphosphate molecules, turning them into adenosine triphosphate(ATP). You can look that up too; ATP is the "currency" of the body's systems. These are then sent to the cells via the bloodstream and the cells break them apart as needed to create spurts of chemical energy to do cellular things with. Such as, if it's a muscle cell, contract.

Thanks, sA. I was thinking no one was going to answer. I'm glad to find out there is a "currency". It's a toehold for sorting out and understanding the other parts better.

I'm still curious about body temperature. Are there dedicated cells for this? The tolerance is pretty tight, and I'm aware that one thing the hypothalamus in the brain does is to regulate body temperature, but I don't know what it controls to do this. Does it communicate with some element of the endocrine system which then instructs "heater" cells to engage in heat creating chemical reactions?

this is what i vaguely remeber from biochem

glucose----> glycolysis---->TCA cycle------>oxidative phosphorylation

oxidative phosphorylation is where most of the ATP you need for energy comes from via NADH and FADH cofactors. ATP energy is released when hydrolysis of the phosphate phosphate bonds occur. The change in energy of the decomposition of ATP to ADP is -12 kcal/mol.

gravenewworld said:
The change in energy of the decomposition of ATP to ADP is -12 kcal/mol.
Yeah, the wikipedia article suggested by sA had a couple pretty interesting facts on this subject:

The total quantity of ATP in the human body is about 0.1 mole. The energy used by human cells requires the hydrolysis of 200 to 300 moles of ATP daily. This means that each ATP molecule is recycled 2000 to 3000 times during a single day. ATP cannot be stored, hence its consumption must closely follow its synthesis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adenosine_triphosphate

That's a lot of recycling.

1. What is food energy?

Food energy refers to the amount of energy that is stored in food and is available for our bodies to use. It is measured in units called calories or kilojoules.

2. How does our body harvest energy from food?

Our body harvests energy from food through a process called metabolism. During digestion, food is broken down into smaller molecules and converted into energy that our cells can use. This energy is then stored in the form of ATP (adenosine triphosphate) and used for various bodily functions.

3. What are some examples of foods that are high in energy?

Foods that are high in carbohydrates, such as bread, pasta, rice, and potatoes, are good sources of energy. Fats, such as oils, nuts, and avocados, are also high in energy. Proteins, found in meats, eggs, and dairy products, can also provide energy for our body.

4. How much energy do we need from food?

The amount of energy we need from food varies depending on factors such as age, gender, and level of physical activity. On average, adults need about 2,000-2,500 calories per day, while children and teenagers need slightly less. It is important to have a balanced diet that provides enough energy for our daily activities.

5. Can we get all the energy we need from food?

Yes, our bodies can get all the energy they need from food. However, it is important to have a varied and balanced diet to ensure that we are getting enough energy from different sources. It is also important to avoid consuming too much or too little energy, as this can lead to health problems.