Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is fourier number?

1. Apr 27, 2010 #1
    What is fourier number??

What exactly is fourier number??? I kno its Thermal diffusivity*time/square of radius. But what exactly is the meaning of Fourier number???

For eg: Why do we calculate Fourier number for finding out the lumped heat in solids???

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2010 #2

mathman

Science Advisor

4. Apr 27, 2010 #3
    Re: What is fourier number??

Thanks Mathman, and yes,Of course iv checked wikipedia b4 posting that question!!! In wiki it is just the explanation of the terms involved, ie"the ratio of the heat conduction rate to the rate of thermal energy storage", is not that pretty obvious just looking at the equation???? but what i want to know is the significance of the equation

5. Apr 28, 2010 #4

mathman

Science Advisor

Sorry - I can't help you any more.

6. Apr 28, 2010 #5

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When the Fourier number is much larger than one, the conduction process is predicted to have reached steady state. Does this answer your question?

7. Dec 16, 2010 #6

Fo = (Heat conduction rate)/(thermal energy storage rate)
    Fo = [k A [STRIKE]dT[/STRIKE]/dx]/[(dm/dt)*Cp*[STRIKE]dT[/STRIKE]] -------------> dx = L
    Fo = [kA/L]/[ρ*Cp*Q] -----------------------> A/Q = t/L
    Fo = [kt]/[ρ*Cp*(L2)]---------------------->k/ρ*Cp = α
    Fo = αt/L2

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook