Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is fringe shift?

  1. Jan 23, 2005 #1
    I'm working on a modification of Fizeau's experiment in 1851 about the addition of velocities. I've derived the formula for the fringe shift. But the problem is I actually don't know what it is. I know it's the movement of the interference pattern. But it has no unite, so what is the meaning of a fringe shift of let's say 0,3. Or how can I determine the fringe shift in the interference pattern?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2005 #2
    Maybe you calculated the "phase shift" and then is obvious you got something adimensional (that is rad) ...... :confused:
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook