Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is genetic linkage?

1. Jun 19, 2006 #1
    as the title suggest, i am confused when i read about "testcross" and linkage

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2006 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Genetic linkage means that two genes segregate together, which means that they are close together on the same chromosome.

The measure of linkage is the frequency at which two genes become seperated during recombination, when they are further apart it is more likely that they become seperated.

4. Jun 21, 2006 #3
    Just to expand on what has already been said.

If genes are linked then they act as if they are on the same chromosome. That is to say whenever gene A is observed so is gene B. However, for non-sex chromosomes, each person has 2 of the "same" autosome, one from the maternal line and the other from the paternal line. There is a chance that recombination will take place between these the paternal and maternal autosome thereby making a hybrid paternal and maternal chromsome. If the genes are physically far apart on the chromsome there is a higher frequency that they will undergo recombination (the shuffling stuff that makes the hybrid chromosome.) If the genes are physically really close, then there is a lower frequency of recombination.

By physically I mean literally mean physically, i.e. number of base pairs apart.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?