Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is Gleason theorem about

1. Jan 9, 2004 #1
    Hi all, i'm doing a modcule on Quantum Logic and there is this Gleason theorem but the lecturer didnt explain it clear enough, can somebody help me out please?

sorry that i really have no idea what it is about, all i've got is a heading "gleason theorem" in my note, then it started going on talking about logic of all hilbert subspaces.... then go to introduce pure quantum states and convex combination of pure states.....

thank you
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I think you will find what you want in this paper. I found it by googling on gleason's theorem.
  4. Jan 14, 2004 #3
    Gleason's theorem

Gleason's theorem is a derivation of the quantum probability rule from the structure of observables in quantum theory. It has two assumptions:

1. Assume that observable quantities are represented by Hermitian observables and that the possible outcomes are represented by the projectors in the spectral decomposition of such operators.

2. Assume that the probability is a function of the projectors only, i.e. it does not depend on which observable the projector came from. This is called non-contextuality.

Conclusion: There is a density operator representing the quantum state, with measurement probabilities given by the standard probability rule.

The theorem holds in Hilbert sapces of dimension 3 or larger, so interestingly it does not hold for the spin of a spin 1/2 particle. However, a POVM version of the theorem has been proved which does hold for these cases.
  5. Jan 15, 2004 #4
    thank you very much
    that's very helpful
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?