Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is Googlewhacking

1. Jan 26, 2008 #1
    The otherday I came across Googlewhacking. The objective of the game is to type 2 words into the google search engine and only come up with one single, solitary result. I thought it would be cool to see if anyone here on PF could find one.

Here is the link to the rules...

The game is alot harder than I thought, I've been trying for 20 minutes!

Get Whacking PFers!!

Post what you typed in if you get one. :smile:
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2008 #2
    I got one within a couple of tries:

welcomon biddddiiiiii

But they won't accept it:

You're on a Whack Flack Track
    Doh! You offered a word that some whackers abuse... or that has been whacked or stacked frequently in the past hour.

Random whacking or overused words may trigger automatic bans. Whack Google; Stack here; be original!

If you're making an innocent mistake, you deserve an apology from folks who made this necessary :-(

If you're whacking an acronym, please stick to words -- and, again, the abusers owe you an apology :-(

If you're using a very uncommon word, it may have been retired as a Uniwhack (only one Google hit).

If you're using the same word over and over... everyone is really bored with you. Really. No, really.

If you're using inappropriate or offensive language in The Whack Stack, here's your chance to grow up.

In any case, feel free to record your valid, creative whack, with respect for all the others in the room.
  4. Jan 26, 2008 #3
    It's so hard!!
  5. Jan 26, 2008 #4

Staff: Mentor

I was searching for something the other day and came up with two results, both for the same website.
  6. Jan 26, 2008 #5
  7. Jan 26, 2008 #6
  8. Jan 27, 2008 #7
    Does the word have to be spelled properly? Does it have to be an actual word?

For example, I get one hit for these combinations.

cryopen tenacity
    vernacular chemitry
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  9. Jan 27, 2008 #8
    It has to be a word spelled correctly.
  10. Jan 27, 2008 #9
  11. Jan 27, 2008 #10
    Is cryopen one word or two? Google accepts it as one word, and it is spelled correctly. Does that mean I found a googlewhack?
  12. Jan 27, 2008 #11
    It's feasible if you pick really long unrelated words to search for. You eventually land on the one list that contains them ...until some other site inevitably duplicates the content.

EDIT: Well no, they won't allow "word list" sites, so no whack for out of whack on this one... :cry:
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  13. Jan 27, 2008 #12
    Cyrus, yours doesn't work, it has two entries.
  14. Jan 27, 2008 #13
    It's also not in English.

Does it count if the search words are in English, but the site is not?
  15. Jan 27, 2008 #14
  16. Jan 27, 2008 #15
    Darned Google efficiency! :smile: You know, physicsforums is extremely well indexed. It's not the first time I see a search result with a reference to this site for a post that is just hours old.
  17. Jan 27, 2008 #16

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: Are there rules about whether you have safe search on or off? If you turn off safe search, you get a lot more bizarre results than if you have it on.
  18. Jan 27, 2008 #17
    I didn't see anything about safe search in the rules. I'd have to check them again to be sure. Did I have safe search on? I'm not even sure how to use that feature.

Anyway, bed time for Bonzo. If I'm really lucky there will be snow tonight. I got my fingers crossed.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?