What is grade K-12?

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I really have no clue what grade K-12 means..

Answers and Replies

Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Kindergarden through 12-th grade. (everything before college and after pre-school)

The final year at our schools in the UK are for 17/18 year olds. We call them year 13s, so I suppose that is 13th Grade?

i wonder if we would seriously expect to get K through 5 or 6 level questions on this board... imagine if we had 8 years olds asking us for help to multiply 2 digit numbers...

or kindergartners asking for help to learn how to read

chuckles.

Originally posted by Adrian Baker
The final year at our schools in the UK are for 17/18 year olds. We call them year 13s, so I suppose that is 13th Grade?
You could call it 13th grade, but it's equivalent to 12th grade in an American school (which is also for 17/18 year olds). Perhaps what American schools call "kindergarten", you call "year 1", so you start your numbering earlier.

Tom Mattson
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Originally posted by lethe
i wonder if we would seriously expect to get K through 5 or 6 level questions on this board...
Especially since the site rules specifically state that one must be at least 13 years old to join!

Yeah, but kids do ask tricky questions, don't they? So there might be some parents looking for help...