Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is gravitational force

1. Oct 23, 2003 #1
    What is gravitational forces' and electromagnetic forces' energy source?Don't they violate conservation of energy?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2003 #2

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Masses and charges, respectively. No.

4. Oct 26, 2003 #3
    Could you explain.What I meant was that why doesn't it ever get exausted?

5. Oct 26, 2003 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Because they are forces, not energies. Energy is what is conserved.

6. Oct 26, 2003 #5

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: violation?

The energy source is potential energy.

7. Oct 26, 2003 #6
    this sounds like a pretty good place to ask this question. I have been wondering for sometime now if energy could be some how transfered between the two interacting objects in a gravitational or electromagnetic field. What I know about the two tells me no but I just wanted to make sure.

P.S. what about the nuclear forces?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2003
  8. Oct 26, 2003 #7
    I didn't understand the previous question, but I think that charges do violate COE. I think this because they continually emitt photons and I subsribe to the SED theory were these photon's energy source is the vacuum's virtual pariticle flux. And please, I don't want to here any more about how that can't be, that the virtual particle flux is statistical and so averages to zero over time. That is CED nonsense, and this is on the forefront of quantum mechanics, because SED explains why the equations work, instead of just giving them.

9. Oct 26, 2003 #8

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Obviously charges do not continuously emit photons. If they did, the entire universe would have an essentially infinite temperature.

Please, if you want to talk nonsense, don't do it here -- do it in the correct forum.

- Warren

10. Oct 27, 2003 #9

russ_watters

I'm not sure I understand it either but objects can most certainly transfer energy between them.

11. Oct 27, 2003 #10
    Classically, charges have an infinite self-energy. Two electrons have a potential energy -ke2/r. Quarks' colors have a constant, rather than inverse square distance force relation.

12. Oct 27, 2003 #11
    Thank you:smile: I apparently wasn't clear enough on my question. Okay what I asked is if you have say two charges(or two masses) there would be an electromagnetic force between the charges and a gravitational force between the two masses. I realize that each charge or mass would have a potenial energy because of its position in the gravitational(or in the case of the charges ,electromagnetic)field, and that this energy can be converted into kinetic(like when a ball falls it's stored potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as it accelerates downwards). So is there anyway in which the energy of one charge(or mass) can be transfered to the other( the two objects not being in physical contact of course)?

If you have already answered this question I am sorry for asking it again. I just wanted to make sure.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2003
  13. Oct 27, 2003 #12
    Thank you:smile:

14. Oct 27, 2003 #13

russ_watters

Still not sure, but it sounds like you are asking if a particles charge or gravitational field (warping of space) can change another's. Don't think so, but this is getting out of my depth.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?