What is Gravity? How Does It Work?

• Thread starter QAT
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary: It's the longest by the same principle that minimizes the distance between two points in space.In summary, gravity is a force that is manifested by the bending of spacetime due to the presence of mass. This is explained by two models, one from general relativity which sees gravity as a consequence of geometry, and another that views it as particles carrying the force. Einstein's theory of general relativity dispelled the idea that masses act directly on each other, instead showing that they affect the shape of spacetime, which in turn determines the trajectories of particles.
QAT
I know gravity is a force, along with electromagnetism, strong-weak nuclear. I can understand how they work. I also know that a huge mass attracts other masses, but how?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're going to have to specify a little

I don't know if it will make it easier, but how does gravity work?

I'm not sure those questions are really answerable.

Mass produces the gravitational field, just as charge produces the electric field.

The difference between Newton and Einstein is that the source of the gravitational field is energy (which includes mass), and the gravitational field is not a scalar, but a tensor (a scalar is a tensor, but there are tensors that are not scalars).

QAT said:
I don't know if it will make it easier, but how does gravity work?

As russ said, that question may not be answerable.

There are basically two models of gravity. One is from general relativity, and it is very well developed and has very strong predictive and descriptive ability. In general relativity gravity is a consequence of geometry. The geometry of spacetime bends such that objects move not in what we think is a straight line, but curved towards mass. In the other model gravity is manifested by particles, and these particles 'carry' the force from the mass exerting the force to the mass feeling the force. This model is not as well developed and does not have as strong of predictive ability. Of course we would expect that these models should be different sides of the same phenomenon and that's what a lot of theorists work on, trying to reconcile these two models.

We've theories which answer 'how much' , not 'what'.

One of the things Einstein dispelled was the notion that masses act directly upon one another - Einstein postulated that matter affects space - and that the conditioning of space is what causes the local affect we observe when objects are attracted to one another.

QAT said:
I know gravity is a force, along with electromagnetism, strong-weak nuclear. I can understand how they work. I also know that a huge mass attracts other masses, but how?

Mass acts to change the shape of spacetime. In turn, the shape of spacetime determines the trajectories of particles in such a way that the spacetime interval between any two points on a trajectory is maximal.

This is the spacetime extension of the notion that the shortest distance between any two points is a straight line. We might see the path of an orbiting planet as having an elliptical orbit, but for two points on that orbit, the spacetime displacement between two points on the orbital is longest.

You might be thinking "why longest?" In space it's the shortest distance. In spacetime intervals, it's the longest, at least among the contenders of neighbouring paths.

Last edited:

What is Gravity?

Gravity is the fundamental force that governs the motion of objects in the universe. It is the attraction between two objects with mass.

How Does Gravity Work?

Gravity works by pulling objects with mass towards each other. The larger the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational pull. This is why large objects like planets have a stronger gravitational pull than smaller objects like rocks.

Who Discovered Gravity?

Sir Isaac Newton is credited with discovering gravity in the late 17th century. His famous apple falling from a tree led him to develop the theory of gravity and the laws of motion.

Can Gravity Be Turned Off?

No, gravity cannot be turned off. It is a fundamental force of the universe and is always present. However, its effects can be minimized in space by the absence of large objects with mass.

Why Do Objects Fall Towards the Earth?

Objects fall towards the Earth because of its large mass and strong gravitational pull. The Earth's gravity pulls objects towards its center, causing them to accelerate and fall towards the ground.