What is the Color of Green Copper?

In summary, pure copper metal has an orange or pink color, while copper hydroxide is blue and copper oxide is black. However, the statue of liberty appears green due to its oxidation, specifically through the reaction of copper with carbonic acid to form copper carbonate. Other substances such as sulfates and acetates can also cause copper to turn green.
ShawnD
Science Advisor
Pure copper metal is orange (or pink after being anodized), copper hydroxide is blue, copper oxide is black. So then why is the statue of liberty green?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Supposedly its oxidation... and I've seen copper turn green though too..

I've seen lots of old pennies turn green. Must be the same thing.

I'm no chemist, but I believe there are several different oxidation states of copper, one of which is green.

- Warren

ShawnD said:
Pure copper metal is orange (or pink after being anodized), copper hydroxide is blue, copper oxide is black. So then why is the statue of liberty green?

My guess was copper sulfate, but I looked it up and its probably more likely copper carbonate. As you may have learned in your intro chem classes(especially if your teacher was an environmental guy like mine) water reacts with carbon dioxide to form carbonic acid, which gives all rain its slight acidity. This carbonic acid will then react with the copper to form cupirc and cuprous carbonate.

sulfates and acetates will turn it green.

What is the Color of Green Copper?

The color of green copper is a vibrant shade of green that is unique to this specific element. It is often described as a mix of blue and green, with a hint of yellow. This color can vary depending on the amount of copper present and the conditions it is in.

What Causes Copper to Turn Green?

Copper turns green due to a process called oxidation. When exposed to air and moisture, the copper reacts with oxygen to form copper oxide. This forms a green layer on the surface of the copper, giving it its distinct color. This process is known as patination and is a natural occurrence in copper.

Is Green Copper a Natural or Artificial Color?

Green copper is a natural color that occurs through oxidation. However, it can also be artificially induced by using chemicals or heat to speed up the oxidation process. This is often done for decorative purposes, but the resulting color may not be as stable as the natural patina.

Can the Color of Green Copper Change Over Time?

Yes, the color of green copper can change over time. This is due to the ongoing process of oxidation and the exposure to different environmental factors such as air, moisture, and pollutants. The color may also change if the copper is cleaned or treated with certain chemicals.

What Other Colors Can Copper Turn?

Apart from green, copper can also turn into various shades of blue, brown, and black through oxidation. The resulting color depends on the amount of oxygen and other environmental factors present. These colors can also change over time, giving copper a unique and ever-changing appearance.