What is the correct way to express half of two plus two?

• Thread starter riaudo
  • Start date
In summary, when someone says "half of two plus two", they could be referring to either 2 or 3, depending on whether they consider the order of operations or use mathematical notation. It is an ambiguous statement that can only be clarified by asking for clarification or using mathematical notation.
riaudo
When someone says "half of two plus two", what are they referring to?

A) Half of 2+2
= (Half of 2) + 2
= (1) + 2
= 3

B) Half of 2+2
= Half of (2+2)
= (.5)(4)
= 2

Which answer is the correct way to express "half of two plus two"?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
We don't know. This is why we have mathematical notation; language is ambiguous. Presumable they're referring to [itex]\frac{(2 + 2)}{2}[/itex], but we have no way to be sure.

I believe it's A, but Number Nine's right. We have no way to be sure...

Technically the correct answer is 3.

It is not ambiguous; there are no brackets or parentheses, only arithmetical operators. The http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations#Easy_Remembering" rule tells us to apply multipliers first then adders.The word "of" is english-speak for "multiply" (eg.: "1/2 of 10" is synonymous with "1/2 x 10" ).Since the question is 1/2 x 2 + 2, the order of operations is:
1/2 x 2 = 1
+ 2 = 3However, if I were a betting man, and this were a fair game (no tricks), and were asked to bet on which one the person meant when they said this (it was spoken after all) , I would bet on 4.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was taught, at an early age, ' DMAS ' was the rule.

In any 'unbracketed' function, it always goes division first, then multiplication, add, then subtract.

It is, therefore, 3.

With that rule, you can freely write, for example, A+B/2 and it unambiguously means [A]+[B/2], or 3-1+2=4.

cmb said:

In any 'unbracketed' function, it always goes division first, then multiplication, add, then subtract.

It is, therefore, 3.

With that rule, you can freely write, for example, A+B/2 and it unambiguously means [A]+[B/2], or 3-1+2=4.

This isn't a issue of orders of operation, it's a language issue. The fact it, someone saying "half of two plus two" is ambiguous unless you have certain knowledge that they have considered the order of operations when formulating the sentence. Grammar and pragmatism are different things, and plenty of people would say "half of two plus two" to mean half of the sum of two and two.

cmb said:

Wiki says it is MDAS (PEMDAS). That's what I was taught. Multiply then divide.

For for this question, it is moot.

riaudo said:
When someone says "half of two plus two", what are they referring to?

A) Half of 2+2
= (Half of 2) + 2
= (1) + 2
= 3

B) Half of 2+2
= Half of (2+2)
= (.5)(4)
= 2

Which answer is the correct way to express "half of two plus two"?

Please see this stickie thread at the top of this General Math forum:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=494675

That and the language issue discussed in this thread should help you understand.

1. What is the answer to half of two plus two?

The answer is two.

2. How do you solve half of two plus two?

To solve this equation, first divide two by two to get one. Then, add one to two to get the final answer of three.

3. Is the answer to half of two plus two always the same?

Yes, the answer will always be two regardless of the context or situation.

4. Can you explain why the answer to half of two plus two is two?

The answer is two because when you divide two by two, it equals one. Adding one to two results in the final answer of two.

5. Are there any other ways to represent half of two plus two?

Yes, this equation can also be written as 1 + 2 = 3, or as (2/2) + 2 = 3.