Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is high powered geometry?

1. Feb 18, 2005 #1

When ever my teacher comes to a very complicated problem he says there is a way to solve it using highpowered geometry. But never showed an example or really talked about it much.

Solving such advanced problems with highpowered geometry sounds interesting. Can anyone please enlighten me on this, and give an example of it at work?

I am in grade 11.

Thanks in advance!
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It would help if you posted a specific example along with the method of solution used by your teacher. Perhaps then we could show a different method.
  4. Feb 18, 2005 #3

He never showed any solution that he said "to solve the method is too complex for you to understand" some similar like that. Heres an example recently

Penniless Pete's piggy bank has no pennies in it, but it has 100 coins all nickels, dimes, and quarters, who's total value is $8.35. It does not necessarily contain coins of all three types. What is the difference between the largest and smallest number of dimes that could be in the bank?

Getting maximum is easy, just don't use quarters and you get
    Code (Text):

a =amount of dimes
    b = amount of nickels
    a(10)+b(5)=835 (cents)
    a + b =100 <-- multiply this by 5 and "solve by collumbs"
    to get rid of "b", and we get maximum

5a + 5b = 500
    5a = 335
    a = 335/5
    a = 67

Minimum seems impossible. This question is multiple choice
    (A)0 (B)13 (C)37 (D)64 (E)83
    if 67 is maximum dimes than one of
     those must be subtracted to get minimum lets test each

67-64 = 3
    c = quarters
    3(10) + 5b + 25c = 835
    5b + 25c = 805
    b + c + 3 = 100

5b + 5c=485
    5b + 25c = 805
    20c = 320
    I got 16 which is a whole number, thus it is agreeable. So lets say I didn't have the multiple choices, how would I solve it?
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2005
  5. Feb 18, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

high powered geometry is also called "super geometry". this is a tactic physicsts use when they want to generate grant monies.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?