What is high powered geometry?

• Thread starter eax
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of highpowered geometry, which is a method used to solve complicated problems. The speaker, who is in grade 11, asks for clarification and an example of highpowered geometry in action. An example is provided of using highpowered geometry to solve a problem involving coins in a piggy bank. The conversation also mentions that highpowered geometry is sometimes used to obtain grant money.
eax
When ever my teacher comes to a very complicated problem he says there is a way to solve it using highpowered geometry. But never showed an example or really talked about it much.

Solving such advanced problems with highpowered geometry sounds interesting. Can anyone please enlighten me on this, and give an example of it at work?

I am in grade 11.

Thanks in advance!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It would help if you posted a specific example along with the method of solution used by your teacher. Perhaps then we could show a different method.

He never showed any solution that he said "to solve the method is too complex for you to understand" some similar like that. Heres an example recently

Penniless Pete's piggy bank has no pennies in it, but it has 100 coins all nickels, dimes, and quarters, who's total value is $8.35. It does not necessarily contain coins of all three types. What is the difference between the largest and smallest number of dimes that could be in the bank?

Getting maximum is easy, just don't use quarters and you get
Code:
a =amount of dimes
b = amount of nickels
a(10)+b(5)=835 (cents)
a + b =100 <-- multiply this by 5 and "solve by collumbs" 
to get rid of "b", and we get maximum

a(10)+b(5)=835
5a + 5b = 500
-----------------
5a = 335
a = 335/5
a = 67

Minimum seems impossible. This question is multiple choice
(A)0 (B)13 (C)37 (D)64 (E)83
if 67 is maximum dimes than one of
 those must be subtracted to get minimum let's test each

67-64 = 3
c = quarters
3(10) + 5b + 25c = 835
5b + 25c = 805
b + c + 3 = 100

b+c=97

5b + 5c=485
5b + 25c = 805
-------------------
20c = 320
c=16
I got 16 which is a whole number, thus it is agreeable. So let's say I didn't have the multiple choices, how would I solve it?

Last edited:
high powered geometry is also called "super geometry". this is a tactic physicsts use when they want to generate grant monies.

1. What is high powered geometry?

High powered geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with advanced and complex geometric concepts and theories. It involves using advanced mathematical tools and techniques to solve problems related to shapes, sizes, and positions of objects in space.

2. How is high powered geometry different from regular geometry?

High powered geometry is more abstract and theoretical compared to regular geometry. It deals with more complex and advanced concepts such as topology, differential geometry, and non-Euclidean geometry, while regular geometry focuses on basic shapes and measurements.

3. What are some practical applications of high powered geometry?

High powered geometry has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, computer graphics, and robotics. It is used to model and analyze complex systems and structures, design efficient algorithms, and solve optimization problems.

4. What skills are required to study high powered geometry?

To study high powered geometry, one needs to have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in algebra, calculus, and geometry. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to think abstractly, are also important.

5. Are there any famous mathematicians who have contributed to high powered geometry?

Yes, there are many renowned mathematicians who have made significant contributions to high powered geometry, including Euclid, Archimedes, René Descartes, Leonhard Euler, and Bernhard Riemann. These mathematicians have developed groundbreaking theories and concepts that have greatly influenced the field of high powered geometry.