Hubble's Law: Distance, Speed, & Upper Limit

In summary, Hubble's law states that a galaxy's speed as it moves away from us is proportional to its distance, with no upper limit. However, the objects at the edge of our observable universe are receding from us at about 3 times the speed of light. The term "moves" is not accurate in this context, as there is no proper motion involved. It is more appropriate to use the term "receding." Also, an object 1 megaparsec away from us would not be receding since it would be within the Local Group, which is gravitationally bound. For more information, please refer to the link provided.
zuz
I have read that Hubbles law states that a galaxys speed as it moves away from us is proportional to it's distance. Does this have an upper limit? If a galaxy 1 megaparsec is moving at 70 km/s, a galaxy 10,000,000 mgp away is moving faster then light. Or am I (most likely) mistaken?

Physics news on Phys.org
zuz said:
I have read that Hubbles law states that a galaxys speed as it moves away from us is proportional to it's distance. Does this have an upper limit? If a galaxy 1 megaparsec is moving at 70 km/s, a galaxy 10,000,000 mgp away is moving faster then light. Or am I (most likely) mistaken?
You are correct, in principle although not in fact, and there is no upper limit. The objects at the edge of our observable universe are receding from us at about 3c. "Moves" however, is not really the right word to use here, having as it does, the connotation of proper motion, of which there is non in this situation. "Receding" is the right word to use.

The reason I say you are not right "in fact" is that an object 1MPsec away from us would not be receding at all since it would be inside the Local Group which is gravitationally bound.

I recommend the link in my signature.

1. What is Hubble's Law?

Hubble's Law is a fundamental principle in astrophysics that describes the relationship between the distance and speed of galaxies. It states that the farther a galaxy is from Earth, the faster it is moving away from us.

2. How was Hubble's Law discovered?

Hubble's Law was first discovered by American astronomer Edwin Hubble in the 1920s. He observed that the light from distant galaxies was shifted towards the red end of the spectrum, indicating that they were moving away from us. By measuring the amount of redshift, Hubble was able to calculate the speed and distance of these galaxies.

3. What is the significance of Hubble's Law?

Hubble's Law is significant because it provides evidence for the expansion of the universe. It also supports the Big Bang theory, which states that the universe began as a single point and has been expanding ever since. Additionally, Hubble's Law allows us to estimate the age of the universe and understand its overall structure.

4. What is the upper limit of Hubble's Law?

The upper limit of Hubble's Law is the speed of light, which is approximately 300,000 kilometers per second. This means that no galaxy can move away from us faster than the speed of light. However, due to the expansion of the universe, the distance between galaxies can increase faster than the speed of light.

5. How is Hubble's Law used in cosmology?

Hubble's Law is a crucial tool in cosmology, the study of the origin and evolution of the universe. It is used to measure the rate of expansion of the universe and to determine the distance to faraway galaxies. This information is then used to create models of the universe and understand its past, present, and future.