What is in a Jumping Ball?

In summary, the concepts needed to understand a jumping ball in space include differential equations, integrals, algebra, geometry, trigonometry, calculus, and the Peano Axioms. Additionally, a strong understanding of physics is necessary to study the behavior of a tennis ball in space. It is recommended to have access to various learning resources and to have a good understanding of basic mathematical concepts before diving into more complex topics, such as the physics of a bouncing tennis ball.
pairofstrings
TL;DR Summary
Jumping Ball - ball jumping up and down in three-dimensional space
I am a beginner and I know a little bit of Math.
Can anyone tell me what concepts in Math do I need to know to see one ball jumping in space?
I need names of the concepts which let's me realize this Jumping Ball.
Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What's a jumping ball?

berkeman said:
What's a jumping ball?
ball_lead_720_405_zpsglc7xgww.jpg

You want to study the physics of tennis balls in space? I'm not following...

berkeman said:
You want to study the physics of tennis balls in space?
Yes. I want to know the physics in Math.

Example:
Shape, Behavior of the tennis ball in Math.

Concepts like Differential Equations, Integrals are needed?
I need to know the names of the concepts.

Moderator's note: Thread level changed to "B".

Likes berkeman
I thought that understanding physics of Tennis Ball could make me understand math better.

pairofstrings said:
I thought that understanding physics of Tennis Ball could make me understand math better.
It's more likely that a better understanding of maths would allow you to understand more about physics.

Likes Mark44 and pinball1970
In the equation y = 4x, I am not able to understand what the equation is talking about because I am very beginner. I needed context, that is why I thought to investigate Math behind Tennis Ball. I want to see what Math (equations/expressions) looks like when I inquire regarding some object like Tennis Ball.
Math when a ball rolls - What math looks like for this?
Math when a ball jumps - What math looks like for this?
Math when a ball is still - What math looks like for this?

pairofstrings said:
In the equation y = 4x, I am not able to understand what the equation is talking about because I am very beginner. I needed context, that is why I thought to investigate Math behind Tennis Ball. I want to see what Math (equations/expressions) looks like when I inquire regarding some object like Tennis Ball.

You're profile says you have a BSc in Mathematics and that you are an application programmer. This makes your recent posts rather questionable.

PeroK said:
You're profile says you have a BSc in Mathematics and that you are an application programmer. This makes your recent posts rather questionable.
I don't have it. I am pursuing it. Collecting thoughts. Making questions. I want one hundred percent score in my Bsc Mathematics.

Thanks.

pairofstrings said:
I don't have it. I am pursuing it. Collecting thoughts. Making questions. I want one hundred percent score in my Bsc Mathematics.
What is your math background so far? Algebra, Geometry,Trig, Calculus, etc.? What math learning resources do you have available to you? Are you early in high school?

berkeman said:
What is your math background so far? Algebra, Geometry,Trig, Calculus, etc.? What math learning resources do you have available to you? Are you early in high school?
I have lot of learning resources. As I read, the book shows me a new word that I haven't come across before. This new word takes to another new word. The cycle goes deep. I need to know the start point which takes me gradually to higher levels.
So, I found that a Point in two dimension/three-dimension space could be the starting point, then where and how can I go further from this assumption?
So, I thought Tennis Ball exploration could be the answer.

A Ball has a count. What Structure, Space, Change it can have?

Can anyone use Tennis Ball example and talk about Quantity, Structure, Space, Change?

We can get a good start on quantity with tennis balls...

If you have a empty tennis ball can, the set of balls in the can is the empty set. The number of balls in the empty set is zero.

Axiom 1: Zero is a valid number of balls to find in a can.

Consider the act of adding a tennis ball to the can. Call this the "successor" function and use S() to denote it. [Assume, hypothetically that there is no limit to the size of a can].

Axiom 2: If n is a valid number of balls in a can then S(n) is also a valid number of balls.

Consider that if you add a tennis ball to the can, the result will always have more than zero balls.

Axiom 3: There is no number n such that S(n) = 0.

Consider that if you have two cans, added a ball to each can and found that they both now have the same number of balls in them. Then it follows that the number of balls they had to start with were equal.

Axiom 4: If S(a) = S(b) then a=b

Consider a set of numbers for saying how many balls are in cans. If zero is in the set and if for every number in the set the successor of that number is also in the set then every possible number of tennis balls in cans is in the set.

Axiom 5: This one is called the induction axiom.

These are the Peano Axioms.

Likes pinball1970 and pbuk
pairofstrings said:
If you don't understand y = 4x you need examples for that. You roll a tennis ball across the floor at 4 m/s, how far has it gone in 3 seconds? There are 4 balls in a package/can, how many do you need to get 20 balls?

If you want to study even a simple model of a bouncing tennis ball, you need physics, for which you'll need to know more math.

IF you study math you should really be able to see y = 4x as an operaton on the number x, without any physical examples. It will get much more abstract as you go.

pairofstrings said:
Summary: Jumping Ball - ball jumping up and down in three-dimensional space

I am a beginner and I know a little bit of Math.
Can anyone tell me what concepts in Math do I need to know to see one ball jumping in space?
I need names of the concepts which let's me realize this Jumping Ball.
Thanks.

I think you confused everyone with "space" and "count" (me anyway)

Do you mean volume? area? Mass?

Have you come across these equations?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equations_of_motion#Kinematic_quantities
Scroll down to "uniform acceleration"

pairofstrings said:
This is a very simple equation. Do you know how to sketch a graph of this equation? If you need context to be able to understand this equation, you aren't likely to be able to understand the equations of motion for an object that is thrown or falling under the influence of gravity.
This equation could represent a multitude of scenarios. For example, if x is the number of quarters (U.S. coins worth $.25), then y would be the value of x of these coins. An earlier example is the distance that an object moving at a constant velocity of 4 m/sec will travel in x seconds. There are an endless number of scenarios that this equation could describe.
pairofstrings said:
When a ball rolls, there are different equations depending on whether you're interested in the motion of a point at the center of the ball, or are interested in an arbitrary point on the surface of the ball.
As far as the ball jumping, it can't jump, since it doesn't have legs. Perhaps you meant "when a ball bounces." How high a ball bounces has to do with elastic vs. inelastic collisions, what the ball is made of. In a physics course, you would learn first about collisions that are assumed to be elastic, in which both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved.
PeroK said:
You're profile says you have a BSc in Mathematics
pairofstrings said:
don't have it. I am pursuing it.
Then you should change your profile, and include only the degrees that you have already earned.

berkeman said:
What is your math background so far?
pairofstrings said:
I have lot of learning resources. As I read, the book shows me a new word that I haven't come across before. This new word takes to another new word. The cycle goes deep. I need to know the start point which takes me gradually to higher levels.
@pairofstrings, you did not answer the question that @berkeman asked.

What is your math background so far? By that, I mean what classes have you taken up to this point?

Mark44 said:
@pairofstrings, you did not answer the question that @berkeman asked.

What is your math background so far? By that, I mean what classes have you taken up to this point?
Algebra, Vector Algebra, Probability, Coordinate Geometry, Calculus, Trigonometry.

pairofstrings said:
Algebra, Vector Algebra, Probability, Coordinate Geometry, Calculus, Trigonometry.

Hmmm, something is not quite right, pairofstrings. That combination of courses - assuming you passed - is enough that you shouldn't need to be asking such basic questions. Calculus, for example, would have included examples of falling objects, often even balls, in descriptions of continuous change.

Likes PeroK
pairofstrings said:
pairofstrings said:
In the equation y = 4x, I am not able to understand what the equation is talking about because I am very beginner.
I agree with @Tghu Verd, that if you have taken (and passed) the classes you listed, you shouldn't need to ask questions like this one.

pairofstrings said:
A Ball has a count. What Structure, Space, Change it can have?
In previous posts, you have asked questions about programming, specifically object-oriented programming. It seems to me that you are confused in thinking that the attributes of an object somehow make up a complete description of the object.

To say that a ball has a Count is just silly. If the ball exists, then its count is 1, but so what? Of the other three attributes you list, only Structure is meaningful, and by this I assume you mean the ball's shape and the materials it is composed of. I have no idea what you mean by Space -- do you mean the dimension of the space the ball is moving in, as in motion in the plane versus motion in three-dimensional space? Your attribute of Change is meaningless since you didn't mention what is changing or the rate at which it is changing.

As has been said before, if you want to learn physics, study physics. The math classes you claim to have taken would be a good start in the study of physics.

1. What is the material used to make a jumping ball?

The material used to make a jumping ball can vary, but it is typically made of rubber or PVC. These materials are durable and flexible, allowing the ball to bounce and withstand impact.

2. How does a jumping ball work?

A jumping ball works by utilizing the principle of elasticity. When the ball is compressed by the user's weight, it stores potential energy. As the ball is released, the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, causing the ball to bounce.

3. Are there any safety concerns with using a jumping ball?

While jumping balls are generally safe, there are a few precautions that should be taken. It is important to use the ball on a flat and smooth surface to prevent falls. Additionally, users should always wear proper footwear and avoid over-inflating the ball.

4. What are the benefits of using a jumping ball?

Jumping balls can provide a fun and engaging form of exercise. They can also help improve balance, coordination, and core strength. Additionally, they can be used for physical therapy and rehabilitation exercises.

5. Are there different sizes of jumping balls available?

Yes, there are different sizes of jumping balls available to accommodate users of different ages and sizes. It is important to choose the appropriate size to ensure safety and optimal performance. Most jumping balls come with size recommendations based on the user's height.