Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is induction exactly?

1. Oct 31, 2003 #1
    Dear reader,

What is induction excaty? What causes Induction?

-Benzun Pious Wisely
    All For God.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2003 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Governments can cause induction, induction into the military.
    Electro-Magnetic Induction Is the interaction of electro-Magnetic fields and current carrying wires.

I prefer not to have to guess at what people are thinking, precise questions help.
  4. Oct 31, 2003 #3
    Induction is causing or forcing something to happen. Electromagnetic induction refers to an electric current forced to flow through a conductor when the conductor or field "move" relative to each other, as in the case of an electric generator. Actual movement is not required if flux changes, as in the case of a transformer. For more information visit my website or email me.
  5. Nov 1, 2003 #4

i mean how does an atom which is far get attracted though it is not charged by a charged particle?
  6. Nov 1, 2003 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The verb form is "induce". Look it up in a dictionary.

An "atom that is not charged" still has charged particles (electrons and protons) in it.

It can be attracted to a negatively charged particle be cause the negative charge makes the electrons move away (they are repelled) so the negative charge "see" a positive charge.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?