What is instantaneous acceleration?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of instantaneous acceleration and how it is defined as the derivative of velocity with respect to time. There is a discussion on the logical aspect of defining instantaneous acceleration as the rate of change of velocity at a particular instant, and how it may be more useful for average acceleration rather than instantaneous acceleration. The conversation also touches on the difference between average and instantaneous acceleration and the role of derivatives in calculating these values.
parshyaa said:
finally acceleration is the ratio of velocity w.r.t time
Acceleration is the derivative of velocity wrt time.

parshyaa said:
therefore it can occur at a particular instant of time
It sounds like you now agree that instantaneous acceleration is meaningful, just like instantaneous velocity.

Likes parshyaa
Physics news on Phys.org
parshyaa said:
Instantaneous velocity: its the velocity of an object at a particular instant/moment of time.
mathematically: Its the rate of change of displacement/position of an object w.r.t time.
Instantaneous acceleration: its the acceleration of an object at a particular instant/moment of time.
Mathematically: its the rate of change of velocity w.r.t time.
Suppose i am applying force continuously on an object, then object accelerates, and then somebudy asked what is the acceleration of that object when time was 4 second, therefore introduction of instantaneous acceleration is must.
Thank you
@Dale

parshyaa said:
You didn't ask any questions, but all of those statements look fine.

russ_watters said:
You didn't ask any questions, but all of those statements look fine.
Yes,becuase my doubt is clear now, thanks to all of you

Likes russ_watters and Dale
Likes russ_watters and parshyaa
rumborak said:
On a related side note, there is something called "jerk" in physics, which is the derivative of the acceleration over time:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerk_(physics)
And the jerk is what actually happens in pretty well every mechanical occurrence . Put your foot down on a car accelerator and you will find the force on your back varies with time. (Like when the turbo kicks in. You can't use the SUVAT equations with motor cars because the acceleration is not uniform at all.
Edit: When I first was taught SUVAT in School, I missed the word "uniform" in "uniform acceleration'. That looking out of the window incident accounted for a lot of initial problems with comprehension. I wish I had learned that lesson because I have been nodding off regularly at vital moments ever since. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Likes parshyaa
like a lot of people out there that paradoxical thing bugged me since high school, but no one ever seemed to explain me better than this guy:

OP I strongly advise you to watch this video to really get a clear(er) picture of a derivative.

Likes parshyaa and sophiecentaur
The video posted by LLT71 is interesting, " Instantaneous rate of change" is explained clearly in that. Simply it is the rate of change occurs during a very small duration of time, when we take the derivative we allow the time difference to approach zero,

Likes LLT71
Vidujith Vithanage said:
The video posted by LLT71 is interesting, " Instantaneous rate of change" is explained clearly in that. Simply it is the rate of change occurs during a very small duration of time, when we take the derivative we allow the time difference to approach zero,
He deals with the apparent problem quite well but he doesn't really needs go to all that trouble. If you are prepared to use Maths as the primary way of explaining this sort of process and only use hand waving as a secondary medium, there never would be a problem. This is all down to Mathsphobia, imo.

Likes Vidujith Vithanage and parshyaa