What is the Concept of Integration and its Applications in Physics?

• Thread starter ahmedhassan72
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, integration and differentiation are mathematical processes that are opposites of each other. Integration can be used to find the area under a curve or the average value of a function, while differentiation is used to find the slope or rate of change of a function. These concepts have many applications in physics and can be used to solve various problems. However, understanding integration can be challenging and requires a strong foundation in mathematics.
ahmedhassan72
Please ,What is integration and how it is a limit and how have they found that integration is the opposite to differentiation and how can we get an area of a curve by integration and what is it's idea also what are the applications of integration specially in physics?
(I studied integration in high school but i am still a beginner i can just solve equations but I don't know where it comes from)
Thanks in advance...

Physics news on Phys.org
given a wire, differentiation is the process of finding its density from its weight everywhere, and integration is the process of finding its weight from its density everywhere.

i got this from mike comenetz's excellent book, calculus, the elements.

for a curve in the plane, differentiation is the process of finding its slope from its height, and integration the opposite.

the integration process also finds the area from the height.

differentiation also finds the area of a cross section of a solid from the volume.

you should understand that such general questions may receive answers that are not too precise.

for functions, integration is also similar to a process of averaging values of the function, and differentiation a process of approximating the change in its value, from a given value, as a multiple of the change in its argument, i.e. of linearizing the function.

e.g. since for small change h in the argument of the function x^2, we have the change in the value as (x+h)^2 - x^2 = 2xh + h^2. since h is small, h^2 is extremely small, the change in the value is approximately 2xh, which is the multiple of h given by the multiplier 2x, so the derivative is the multiplier 2x.

Last edited:
averaging the values of a function means counting them according to how often they are taken on. e.g. if a function equals 3 on the interval [0,2], and equals 5 on the interval [2,5], then we multiply 2 by the length of the interval [0,2], getting 4, and multiply 5 by the length of [2,5] getting 15, and add to find 19 as the integral.

for more general functions f, riemann approximates them by functions like these that are constant on intervals, and takes the limit of those integrals to be the integral of f.

1. What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical concept that involves finding the area under a curve or the accumulation of small changes over a continuous interval. It is used to solve problems involving rates of change and to find the total value of a quantity.

2. Why is integration important?

Integration is important because it allows us to solve a wide range of problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is also a fundamental tool in calculus and helps us understand the relationship between a function and its derivative.

3. What are the different types of integration?

The two main types of integration are definite and indefinite. Definite integration involves finding the exact value of the integral over a specific interval, while indefinite integration involves finding a general solution to the integral without specifying the limits of integration.

4. How is integration related to differentiation?

Integration and differentiation are inverse operations, meaning that they undo each other. Integration involves finding the area under a curve, while differentiation involves finding the slope of a curve. The derivative of a function is the slope of its tangent line, and the integral of a function is the area under its curve.

5. What are some real-life applications of integration?

Integration is used in various real-life applications, such as calculating the volume of irregularly shaped objects, determining the displacement of an object over time, and calculating the total cost of a continuous process. It is also used in fields such as economics, biology, and engineering to model and solve problems involving rates of change.