Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is inverse transformation?

1. Aug 23, 2007 #1
    plz explain the terms with example:----Transformation,direct transformation,inverse transformation,genreating function

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A transformation, in general, is just a function: y= f(x) "transforms" x to y. In linear algebra at least, a transformation usually means a linear transformation: f(ax+ by)= af(x)+ bf(y). I don't you can use the terms "direct" and "inverse" transformation without more specification. If I start with the transformation f, then its inverse function, f-1(x) is its "inverse transformation" and I guess one would call f the "direct transformation". Of course, one could as easily think of g(x)=f-1(x) as the "direct transformation" and its inverse, g-1(x)= f(x), would be its "inverse transformation".

I don't see what "generating function" has to do with a "transformation".

In general, if you have a sequence of numbers (such as the moments of a probability distribution), then the generating function is the function whose Taylor series has those numbers as coefficients.

4. Aug 23, 2007 #3

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

just read your book.

5. Aug 24, 2007 #4
    thanks a lot.................

6. Aug 24, 2007 #5

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

sorry, it seemed appropriate. maybe if you ask a more precise queston that is not specifically answerted in every text, i could help more.

did you actually follow my suggestion, i.e.read your book? if so, where did you get stuck?

7. Aug 25, 2007 #6

Chris Hillman

Science Advisor

Suggest two books

A good book on generating functions is Wilf, Generatingfunctionology, although I feel the "exponential family" stuff is a terrible idea since it utterly obscures what is really going on with the stuff, wreath product and properties of the Joyal cycle index of a structor (aka combintorial species).

Inquiry about direct and inverse transformations plus failure to cite sources in an PF inquiry suggests a certain lack of "mathematical maturity" (to avoid appearance of sarcasm I should perhaps point out that "mathematical maturity" is a commonly used term in mathematics pedagogy at the university level), so Wilf may be too advanced for the OP. However, a good book written for bright high school students (!) on transformations is Yaglom, Geometric Transformations.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?