What is it about Minneapolis Bathroom Stalls?

• Thread starter LowlyPion
  • Start date
In summary: In front of a crowd of spectators, I would be more likely to be worried about getting caught than getting off.
LowlyPion
Homework Helper
First Senator Larry Craig. Now this?
Crowd cheered Metrodome sexcapade
Last update: November 26, 2008 - 7:02 AM

While the Iowa Hawkeyes were scoring at will on the field Saturday night, two fans from the Hawkeye State were scoring elsewhere in the Metrodome.

Police say a man and woman were "having relations" in a bathroom stall as a crowd cheered them on.

Ross M. Walsh, 26, of Linden, Iowa, and Lois K. Feldman, 38, of Carroll, Iowa, were cited for misdemeanor indecent conduct. Walsh was released to his girlfriend and Feldman to her husband, police said.

A security guard came upon the scene in the handicapped stall, police said. Police were summoned, and they separated the two.

Both were intoxicated, said University Deputy Police Chief Chuck Miner.
http://www.startribune.com/local/35084269.html [Broken]

Now having been in the restrooms both at the airport in Minneapolis and at the Metrodome I just don't get it. Looks like the same porcelain decor to me as any other bathrooms in the US.

Is it the water?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is always a place to have sex. :)

JasonRox said:
There is always a place to have sex. :)

Yes, but ...

Why the apparent incidence of sex with strangers in Minneapolis stalls?

LowlyPion said:
Why the apparent incidence of sex with strangers in Minneapolis stalls?
What else is there to do in Minneapolis in winter?

I know some animals get stuck together, but...

A security guard came upon the scene in the handicapped stall, police said. Police were summoned, and they separated the two.
They must have been pretty drunk.

People don't realize that it's so cold, your piss freezes before it hits the toilet. And the water in the toilet is frozen also, so even if your piss was able to make contact, it would just bounce back up and splash all over you. Don't even get me started with trying to take a dump when your crap is rock hard and cuts up your innards on the way out. The only way to survive is to hold it in for four months until spring rolls back around... hence the toilets are the most private place in the whole city. The catch rate of people having sex in the bathroom is about 3 per 100,000 incidents

It may get chilly in Minnesota alright, but I rather doubt that it gets quite as chilly as those two rides back to Iowa that night with their respective others.

Maybe the score of the game had something to do with it?

Iowa 55 - Minnesota 0

Evo said:
They must have been pretty drunk.

That would be my guess. I'm more curious why it became newsworthy. Maybe because there was a crowd of onlookers instead of everyone trying to politely ignore it? I suspect that such incidents would be fairly common among amorous and very drunk couples.

I've had sex in public before and I wasn't drunk.

JasonRox said:
I've had sex in public before and I wasn't drunk.
In front of a crowd of strangers? A lot of people have had sex in a public park, beach, or building, but it wasn't with an audience.

LowlyPion said:
It may get chilly in Minnesota alright, but I rather doubt that it gets quite as chilly as those two rides back to Iowa that night with their respective others.

:rofl: I'm surprised they aren't still sitting in jail waiting for someone else to bail them out.

Evo said:
In front of a crowd of strangers? A lot of people have had sex in a public park, beach, or building, but it wasn't with an audience.

Well, I started having sex, and people saw us. Relocated and continued. It was night time. Not in full day light.

In front of strangers, I would need to be drunk.

1. What is the significance of Minneapolis Bathroom Stalls?

The significance of Minneapolis Bathroom Stalls refers to the controversy surrounding the infamous "Minneapolis Bathroom Stalls Experiment" conducted by social psychologists in the 1970s. This study aimed to understand the effects of social norms and peer pressure on individual behavior, using bathroom stalls as a setting.

2. How did the Minneapolis Bathroom Stalls Experiment work?

The experiment involved placing a sign inside bathroom stalls at the University of Minnesota that read "Please don't write on the walls." The researchers then observed how long it took for the sign to be defaced and how many people followed the request.

3. What were the results of the Minneapolis Bathroom Stalls Experiment?

The results showed that the sign was more likely to be obeyed when it was accompanied by a signature from a well-known figure, such as a professor. However, when the sign was not signed, it was often ignored and the walls were frequently defaced.

4. What does the Minneapolis Bathroom Stalls Experiment reveal about human behavior?

The experiment highlights the power of social norms and peer pressure in shaping individual behavior. It also suggests that people are more likely to follow requests or rules when they come from a figure of authority or someone they respect.

5. How does the Minneapolis Bathroom Stalls Experiment relate to real-world situations?

The findings of the experiment can be applied to various real-world situations, such as workplace policies, community rules, and even marketing strategies. It shows that social influence can significantly impact individual behavior and decision-making.

Back