Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is it called when they use the minority to attack the majority?

1. Feb 3, 2004 #1
    For example:

- You once lied.
    - You are therefore a liar.

Perhaps not a very good example, but the premise is the same; they will attack a single manifestation of something as though it were a microcosm of everything else. What is this called? I first thought it was somewhat of a straw man argument, but I'm not certain. It happens a lot in arguments, because someone will take one instance out of many to negate all else. Make sense?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2004 #2

Njorl

Science Advisor

I don't know, but it is not a "stawman". A strawman is a weak argument made to be defeated. You frame your opponent's view in a weak, or even false, way that can easily be negated.

Njorl

4. Feb 3, 2004 #3
    That's why I thought it was somewhat of a straw man, because they embellished on a single instance of something (the weak argument) to negate the entire argument. I know it's not, but that's the closest one that came to mind.

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2004
  5. Feb 3, 2004 #4

FZ+

6. Feb 4, 2004 #5
    I would have said choplogic, but I think FZ+ is right.

7. Feb 6, 2004 #6
    I believe FZ is correct, so I can now at least put a name to it when I hear the familiar argument.

Thanks all!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?