Today's Mystery - Can You Guess What It Is?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mystery
In summary, Evo thinks that the photo of the pomegranite seeds is the hardest photo to guess, and she would like to go to Death Valley with someone.
Evo said:
Kurdt wins another week in Death Valley! WooHoo!

Not this time. The winner of this contest receives The Golden Probe Award.

oh Kurdt...

Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
Heh, I figured that would go quickly but was worth a try.

btw, I'm not an area 51 guy, so the obvious connection is a predisposed bias on your part. :biggrin:

I assumed you might live there since you used to be a grey skinned alien.

Evo said:
Kurdt wins another week in Death Valley! WooHoo!

Are you trying to get rid of me :cry:

I was rather hoping for a weeks invasive surgery in the secret facilities at Groom Lake.

Kurdt said:
I assumed you might live there since you used to be a grey skinned alien.

Grey, yeah, but the Roswell aliens are all Republicans.

Ivan Seeking said:
Not this time. The winner of this contest receives The Golden Probe Award.

oh Kurdt...
:rofl: :rofl:

Ivan Seeking said:
That pretty much puts an end to the idea of Alien intellegence.

Integral said:
That pretty much puts an end to the idea of Alien intellegence.

...psssssst, Obama is one of us.

Ivan Seeking said:

that also explains the cold, gray skin and big heads

I'll piggyback on Evo's thread:

Ok---What is it?

whattheheckisthat.jpg

Pomegranite Seeds, My Favorite!

just had one for lunch and took a photo--

where do YOU want to go for a week, Evo?

would this one have been harder for you to get?

whatl5a.jpg

Last edited:
Damn too late. I think Evo would enjoy a trip to death valley. She can keep me company for a week.

Nope, I grew up with pomegranites, 'tis the season. A harder picture might have been leaving the white membrane over the seeds.

A bit of etymological trivia about the pomegranate: most everyone knows that the word is derived from the latin pomum granatum (apple with many seeds), through the late French pomme grenade (which, doubtless, you are all aware was the origin of the word 'grenade'), but how many of you know that the botanical name of the pomegranate tree (Punica granatum) is the only biological name that has one specific type of bad grammar - the gender of the adjective does not agree with the gender of the noun (it should instead be Punica granata)?

Last edited:
Kurdt said:
Damn too late. I think Evo would enjoy a trip to death valley. She can keep me company for a week.
Woohoo! Did I ever tell you that I can make a knife and spearhead out of a harmonica?

I'm watching Survivorman right now. I'm learning how to live in the mountaintops in winter with only a camera in my backpack. I think the camera turns into a microwave oven.

Damn, I spelled pomegranate wrong, looks like Gokul has to come to death Valley with kurdt and I to make sure we don't make spelling and grammatical errors.

Last edited:
If i don't bring a harmonica you won't need a knife or spearhead :tongue:. Unfortunatley I missed most of the survival programs here so I think I won't survive.

Wasn't it Persephone that had to spend a a month each year for every pomegranate seed she ate while in Hades? Which explains winter.

prosperine.jpg

"Persephone (Proserpine) was a daughter of Zeus and the Greek fertility goddess
Demeter (Ceres). Hades (Pluto) condemned Persephone to eternity in the underworld,
because she had eaten the forbidden fruit (pomegranate seeds). She was allowed to
return to the surface of the Earth for part of the year. Persephone was also
a personification of spring."

Last edited:
Yes, it was Persephone. She was the Ancient Greeks' groundhog!

Surely the groundhog myth is the modern day persephone.

well, she could stay at my place in my spare bedroom for those couple of months while she wasn't in hell

-----------------------

There ya' go Evo, you win one week in Hell (California)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell,_California

Last edited:
That has to be the best opening sentence of any wikipedia article ever.

Gokul43201 said:
A bit of etymological trivia about the pomegranate: most everyone knows that the word is derived from the latin pomum granatum (apple with many seeds), through the late French pomme grenade (which, doubtless, you are all aware was the origin of the word 'grenade')

Obviously. I mean, what kind of people wouldn't know these things? People with no idea of what's important, that's who! I want to picket these people...

...and I'll smear the signs with pomegranate juice. Now that would be hard-hitting, like a Wolf Blitzer newsbreak on Easter Sunday.

Evo said:
Today's "What is it?". Can anyone quess? If you ask, I will give hints.

Perhaps we should preface each of these challenges with an "Is this something?" poll.

My parents took us to Hell on vacation when we visited my grandparents when I was a kid

(on the way to the Colorado River).

Gokul43201 said:
A bit of etymological trivia about the pomegranate: most everyone knows that the word is derived from the latin pomum granatum (apple with many seeds), through the late French pomme grenade (which, doubtless, you are all aware was the origin of the word 'grenade'), but how many of you know that the botanical name of the pomegranate tree (Punica granatum) is the only biological name that has one specific type of bad grammar - the gender of the adjective does not agree with the gender of the noun (it should instead be Punica granata)?

Did you take the useless trivia quiz yet? :biggrin: Or should we just start calling you Cliff? :tongue:

or Punicum granatum

That would work too, but wouldn't be the preferred choice. Most plants are named with genera that are feminine (the Ancient Romans thought of plants as feminine), but there are many cases of neuter (any alpinum) and masculine (asteriscus) genera.

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/4986/seashotvz6.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
An active volcano as captured with, say... a UV-filter of some sort.

Bioluminescent bacteria (Dinoflagellates?) forming a 'milky sea'. I remember reading an article about that picture before.

rewebster said:
My parents took us to Hell on vacation when we visited my grandparents when I was a kid
My parents took us to Hell on vacation! But it was Hell, Michigan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell,_Michigan

Mk said:
My parents took us to Hell on vacation! But it was Hell, Michigan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell,_Michigan

Parents in perspective can be pretty funny once in a while, can't they---my, my...my

I guess that there's a choice (free will) then:

MI: "people watch for Hell to "freeze over"

CA: "Hell has been referenced when it is especially hot"

Evo, your choice, where do you want to go?

Ivan---

is that a big, giant dead seahorse?

rewebster said:
Ivan---

is that a big, giant dead seahorse?
One that died after eating all the dinoflagellates?

PS: I thought you said 'sea monkey'. Seahorses don't like the taste of bacteria.

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
One that died after eating all the dinoflagellates?

PS: I thought you said 'sea monkey'. Seahorses don't like the taste of bacteria.

IF if is a big, dead seahorse (or monkey)---did it get that big from eating 'DINO' size flagellates?

<h2>1. What is the purpose of "Today's Mystery - Can You Guess What It Is?"</h2><p>The purpose of "Today's Mystery - Can You Guess What It Is?" is to engage and challenge readers to use their critical thinking skills and knowledge to solve a mystery or puzzle.</p><h2>2. How often is "Today's Mystery - Can You Guess What It Is?" updated?</h2><p>"Today's Mystery - Can You Guess What It Is?" is updated daily with a new mystery or puzzle for readers to solve.</p><h2>3. Who creates the mysteries for "Today's Mystery - Can You Guess What It Is?"</h2><p>The mysteries for "Today's Mystery - Can You Guess What It Is?" are created by a team of scientists and researchers who specialize in creating engaging and challenging puzzles.</p><h2>4. Is there a specific theme for the mysteries in "Today's Mystery - Can You Guess What It Is?"</h2><p>There is no specific theme for the mysteries in "Today's Mystery - Can You Guess What It Is?" Each mystery is unique and can cover a variety of topics such as science, history, pop culture, and more.</p><h2>5. Can I submit my own mystery for "Today's Mystery - Can You Guess What It Is?"</h2><p>Yes, we welcome submissions for mysteries to be featured on "Today's Mystery - Can You Guess What It Is?" Please contact us for more information on how to submit your mystery.</p>

1. What is the purpose of "Today's Mystery - Can You Guess What It Is?"

The purpose of "Today's Mystery - Can You Guess What It Is?" is to engage and challenge readers to use their critical thinking skills and knowledge to solve a mystery or puzzle.

2. How often is "Today's Mystery - Can You Guess What It Is?" updated?

"Today's Mystery - Can You Guess What It Is?" is updated daily with a new mystery or puzzle for readers to solve.

3. Who creates the mysteries for "Today's Mystery - Can You Guess What It Is?"

The mysteries for "Today's Mystery - Can You Guess What It Is?" are created by a team of scientists and researchers who specialize in creating engaging and challenging puzzles.

4. Is there a specific theme for the mysteries in "Today's Mystery - Can You Guess What It Is?"

There is no specific theme for the mysteries in "Today's Mystery - Can You Guess What It Is?" Each mystery is unique and can cover a variety of topics such as science, history, pop culture, and more.

5. Can I submit my own mystery for "Today's Mystery - Can You Guess What It Is?"

Yes, we welcome submissions for mysteries to be featured on "Today's Mystery - Can You Guess What It Is?" Please contact us for more information on how to submit your mystery.