What is this mysterious formation?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a photograph of a rock formation that resembles an ant hill, possibly due to the effects of a vortex. The area was once underwater and may have been affected by mineral springs or vents. A similar formation can be found in Yellowstone National Park.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
http://www.coasttocoastam.com/gen/page2381.html?theme=light

My first thought was that it may be an ant hill, but the photographer says it was a rock. I would still think it to be a petrified something?

Physics news on Phys.org
This area was certainly underwater. I suppose a vortex formed which grinded a funnel into the rock formation over eons. The river is pretty stagnant, but there were times when a rush of water from melted glacial dams flooded the area with intense surges of currents.

Kinda looks like limestone.
Perhaps a spring or possibly a steam vent.

Looks like a place where a mineral spring once flurished. I have even been to a city named Mineral Springs in ND, so its fairly common for that area.

Last edited:
A mineral spring or vent makes more sense.

Mineral precipitate around a spring was my first thought as well. Would be helpful to see a bit of it up close and know something about the area it was found into say for sure.

A look-alike in Yellowstone park:

http://www.naturalsciences.org/education/Yellowstone/2006/images/unusual%20hot%20spring%20at%20Mammoth%20Terraces.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is it?

It is a vague question and can refer to many different things. Can you be more specific?

2. What is it made of?

It depends on what "it" is. Everything in the world is made up of different elements and compounds, so it is important to specify what you are referring to.

3. What is its purpose?

The purpose of something can vary greatly depending on what it is. Some things may have a specific function or use, while others may serve a larger purpose in a system or process.

4. What is its significance?

The significance of something also depends on what it is. Some things may have a bigger impact or meaning than others, and its significance can also change depending on the context in which it is being discussed.

5. What is the scientific explanation for it?

The scientific explanation for something depends on its properties and characteristics. A thorough analysis and understanding of these factors can help to explain the phenomena or process in question.