Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is it?

1. Jan 22, 2008 #1
    Can anyone tell me what this is?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2008 #2
  4. Jan 22, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's definitely not a nebula. It has veins. I'd guess the greenish thing is a fiber optic cable, and this is some kind of a laser surgery.

- Warren
  5. Jan 22, 2008 #4
    oh--you can blow up the photo-----maybe the retina
  6. Jan 22, 2008 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

An illuminated phoetus?
  7. Jan 22, 2008 #6
    A nebula with veins
  8. Jan 22, 2008 #7
    Definitely a retina picture. That's the optic nerve in the center. There are even eyelash shadows in the lower right. I'm really curious as to what that formation is on the bottom left is.
  9. Jan 22, 2008 #8

Staff: Mentor

That's what I was wondering.
  10. Jan 22, 2008 #9
    Hah I said "is" twice in that sentence, whoops.

I initially thought tears ducts, but I don't think so. I've seen discolorations inside of those pictures before, but that looks kind of like scales or some kind of disease, I dunno.
  11. Jan 22, 2008 #10

Gold Member

Yep! It's a photo of a retina through a fundus camera. I used to maintain these cameras at an opthalmic practice, when I was (nominally) the network administrator, but generally got tapped to fix anything that broke. The photos that came out of our cameras tended to be more on the orange side, and that may have been because we were filtering to identify early signs of macular degeneration.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  12. Jan 22, 2008 #11
    I thought it was just pigmentation of the eye around the iris
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  13. Jan 22, 2008 #12
    It's weird with the scaly formation. If you look diagonally across the image you can see a blue/green reflection of the edge of the iris, I think. But I'm an engineer, not a medical person, so take my opinion for what it is :-p
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?