Exploring Information Technology (IT) Engineering

In summary, IT, or Information Technology, is a broad field that involves communication across various systems. It is often used loosely and its meaning varies depending on who is using it. IT is one of the five major areas related to computing and is essential in the business world for storing, processing, and retrieving data.
Tenshou
I hear that there is thing out there with communication with in all types of systems and it is called Information Technology (IT for short) Can some one expand upon this field of engineering, I would like to know a little bit more, And as always, Please and Thank you!

Computer science news on Phys.org
Hey Tenshou and welcome to the forums.

IT is word that is often thrown around for a lot of different things and because of this, its meaning is not that definite depending on who is throwing it around and who is using it.

Have you ever seen the movie IT? They're kind of like that, appearing where you least expect, causing all kinds of terror and mayhem, all while being completely unnoticed by everyone else who isn't aware of their existence.

Also, I hear a prerequisite for IT is to be nearsighted.

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/8823/it1990promotionalposter.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I could post something that exposes my possibly ill-founded biases against those who claim a degree in "Information Technology".

But I won't.

IT is one of the five major areas related to computing for which the Association for Computing Machinery and the IEEE Computer Society have developed recommended curricula. The other four are computer science, computer engineering, information systems, and software engineering. You can read about these five major areas here: http://www.acm.org/education/education/curric_vols/CC2005-March06Final.pdf (last updated 2006), and about IT specifically here: http://www.acm.org//education/curricula/IT2008 Curriculum.pdf (last updated 2008).

Thank you D H for those Informed Post (hehe)

Generally, IT means an industry that uses networking, computer and software programming to store, process, transmit and retrieve data particularly in business.

What is Information Technology (IT) Engineering?

Information Technology (IT) Engineering is a field of engineering that involves the design, development, and implementation of computer-based systems, software, and networks. It combines elements of computer science, electrical engineering, and management to create efficient and effective systems for processing and managing information.

What do IT Engineers do?

IT Engineers are responsible for designing, developing, and maintaining computer-based systems and networks. They work with a variety of technologies and programming languages to create solutions for businesses, organizations, and individuals. They also troubleshoot and repair technical issues and provide support to users.

What skills are needed to become an IT Engineer?

To become an IT Engineer, one must have a strong foundation in computer science and programming, as well as knowledge of various operating systems, databases, and networking. Strong problem-solving and critical thinking skills are also necessary for identifying and solving complex technical issues.

What are the career prospects for IT Engineers?

The demand for IT Engineers is high in today's digital age, and the field is expected to continue growing in the future. IT Engineers can find employment in a variety of industries, including technology, healthcare, finance, and education. They can also advance into management positions or pursue further education and research in the field.

What are some emerging technologies in IT Engineering?

Some emerging technologies in IT Engineering include artificial intelligence, machine learning, cloud computing, and cybersecurity. These advancements are transforming the way we store, process, and analyze data, and IT Engineers are at the forefront of developing and implementing these technologies in various industries.