What Is This Mysterious Object?

• Thread starter Integral
  • Start date
In summary: It looks like a jet engine intake.Air intakes for jet engines are typically very straight and tall, in order to maximize the airflow into the engine.
Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
http://home.comcast.net/~rossgr1/EAM/whatsit.JPG [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It looka natural, maybe an eye.

airplane propellar spinning fast? or maybe a mushroom of some kind

or maybe a pattern on a butterfly or moth

That's the nipple of a female model terminator.

Actually, I bet it's the nose cone of one flying machine or another.

At first, I thought it was a mushroom. Now I think it's a bullet hitting something.

To me, it looks like a very bad chandelier.

Colonoscope image of someone in ill health?

Danger said:
Colonoscope image of someone in ill health?
:yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

it looks like a shower head, or a sprinkler for flowers to me. Or a spray jet for his hot tub!

Last edited:
recon said:
To me, it looks like a very bad chandelier.
It does look like a light fixture.

It's got to be something from the Aircraft Museum, wot ?

Gokul43201 said:

Yeah, front of a turbofan?

Gokul43201 said:
We are on the right track.

It looks like you're looking up an exhaust duct. That hole pattern is seriously looking like a combustor section though. Perhaps an afterburner flameholder of some kind?

Fred,
You are just way good. You are so close that I am temped to revel. But you are off just a little bit so I am going to let it ride for a bit more.

Haven't yet read the thread. The picture looks like a trash can or a manhole.

Sorry Hurykl, you need to look up, not down! :smile:

Integral said:
Sorry Hurykl, you need to look up, not down! :smile:

aaHA! An impromptu clue, perhaps?

Inside a VTOL nozzle?

You guys are on the right track.

Lets let a few others look at it.

Ok, Resolution time

http://home.comcast.net/~rossgr1/EAM/titanII_info.JPG [Broken]

Why aren't you posting this stuff in the Brain Teasers forum?

'Cause it's not what I consider a brain teaser?

Humm... Maybe it is?

Aha, rocket engine exhaust nozzle? I almost had a stab at that after your "look up" clue, but thought it must still have been GT related.

Yep, that is looking right into the business end of the Titan Rockect engine, so it is indeed a combustion chamber with fuel feed nozzles visible in the back.

Which are the fuel feed nozzles? I'd have expected them to look like the kind of swirl atomisers you get in a GT engine, although I suppose the fuel is ready-mixed so this isn't as important? Don't know nearly enough about rockets...

brewnog said:
I suppose the fuel is ready-mixed
It better not be! Those are hypergolic motors! :eek:

Danger said:
It better not be! Those are hypergolic motors! :eek:

Ok, I've not even heard that word before. Good job I'm not an engineering graduate, or anything. Teach me, dammit!

brewnog said:
Teach me, dammit!
Sorry. :biggrin:
Hypergols are binary propellants that burn spontaneously when they contact each other. No igniter system required. Nitric acid used to be the oxydizer of choice, and the other part can range from unsymmetrical dimethylhydrazine to analine. The Ariane rocket, for instance, uses monomethylhydrazine and nitrogen tetroxide for its final stage. They tend to be used where ignition is not negotiable.

Last edited:
Danger said:
Sorry. :biggrin:
Hypergols are binary propellants that burn spontaneously when they contact each other. No igniter system required. Nitric acid used to be the oxydizer of choice, and the other part can range from unsymetrical dimethylhydrazine to analine. The Ariane rocket, for instance, uses monomethylhydrazine and nitrogen tetroxide for its final stage. They tend to be used where ignition is not negotiable.

Ooh, okay.

So, (with reference to Integral's picture), what's being squirted where? And how come I don't see any GT style atomisers? Is it because there's no issue of getting everything to fully combust at those temperatures?

Apologies for taking a GD thread off topic into Mech & Aero Eng!

brewnog said:
Which are the fuel feed nozzles? I'd have expected them to look like the kind of swirl atomisers you get in a GT engine, although I suppose the fuel is ready-mixed so this isn't as important? Don't know nearly enough about rockets...
I believe that the fuel nozzles are the dots in the center.

Here is a pic of the other side.

http://home.comcast.net/~integral50/EAM/rocket2.JPG [Broken]

Okay, well, since this is the "I was at a museum today, give interesting insight into the photo" thread, I'll comply.

http://personalpages.umist.ac.uk/student/E.Smith-2/guess10.jpg

brewnog said:
what's being squirted where? And how come I don't see any GT style atomisers? Is it because there's no issue of getting everything to fully combust at those temperatures?
The entire centre section there is the injector assembly. Although I can't say for sure about this particular engine, the injector holes are generally machined in concentric circles. Ideally, alternating rings should feed propellant, and the ones between oxydizer. Since the components are equally reactive in liquid form, atomization is accomplished by the initial turbulence; any remaining droplets are quickly deconstructed by the combustion violence.

The picture that you posted is pretty dark, but it looks like cast iron to me. Must be something fairly old, like maybe a printing press.

Danger said:
The entire centre section there is the injector assembly. Although I can't say for sure about this particular engine, the injector holes are generally machined in concentric circles. Ideally, alternating rings should feed propellant, and the ones between oxydizer. Since the components are equally reactive in liquid form, atomization is accomplished by the initial turbulence; any remaining droplets are quickly deconstructed by the combustion violence.

Okay, thanks for that!

The picture that you posted is pretty dark, but it looks like cast iron to me. Must be something fairly old, like maybe a printing press.

It is cast iron.

It's pretty old, but it's a case of the broom which has had 3 new handles and 4 new heads, - the original will have been there a few hundred years before the existing one was installed. The original was first installed somewhere in the 1600's, although it would have been wooden back then. This one's probably around a hundred years old.

Have a slightly bigger picture. There's a good clue if you look closeishly.

http://personalpages.umist.ac.uk/student/E.Smith-2/guess11.jpg

Could it be something like a Castle door opening mechanism?