1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is (KE1-KE2)/KE2=M/(M+m)

1. Nov 7, 2005 #1
    hi i have a question. What does this equation mean??
    (KE1-KE2)/KE2=M/(M+m) and how is it derived??

I dont understand. Please help me.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2005 #2
    Could you give more information? For instance does this have anything to do with planets, pendulums, levers, or pullies?
  4. Nov 7, 2005 #3

What does M and m represent? Is this molecular kinetic theory? (i.e. M is mass of volume V of gas and m is the mass of one molecule) or is it mechanics?
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2005
  5. Nov 7, 2005 #4

the question has to do with collision..the conservation of energy and momentum. the formula has to do with the theoretical fractional energy loss
    the letters "f" and "i" are subscript. (KEi-KEf)/KEi=M(M+m)
    The M and m are masses. I dont know how to give anymore information because thats about all i know. please help.. anyone who understands these things...
  6. Nov 8, 2005 #5
    It looks like you have two objects in a system and this systme has an initial kinetic energy of [tex]KE_i[/tex] and a final kinetic energy of [tex]KE_f[/tex]. When v<<c, [tex]KE= \frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex]. When v is not v<<c then [tex]KE= \frac{mc^2}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}-mc^2[/tex].

Some of the kinetic energy will be lost if the collision is inelastic.
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?