Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is known about Gravitons

1. Mar 3, 2005 #1
    Hi I freely admit that I am new to this forum site and pretty new to physics in general, however I am eager to learn. I know extremly little about Quantom mechanics. I wont ask you to explain it all now, I simply request that somone explain to me what is known about Gravitons, why do we no longer look to Einsteins ideal of Gravity? Please, anyone who can teach me please post.

- Thanks for any help

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Gravitons are essentially particles which would have to mediate the gravitational interaction between masses...There existance is still questionable,as no experiment has indicated so...I could tell you much more,but i don't know your level of knowledge,especially of Quantum Field Theory.

As for Einstein's theory of gravity,it's simply staggering with its simplicity.It's a brilliant theory with one HUGE PROBLEM:it's classical.It does not use (among its axioms) the axioms of Quantum Mechanics.Again,the story here's much longer.

Daniel.

4. Mar 4, 2005 #3
    as a matter of fact, einstein's theory is so simple and makes so much sense, it makes me feel malice towards quantum mechanics

5. Mar 4, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think both theories are elegant...

Daniel.

P.S.It's not a matter of tastes,really.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?