Laser Plasma: Basics & Theory Explained

In summary: E. Shannon was one of the first to study laser induced breakdown and he won the Nobel prize in 1964 for his work on the subject.
Nickolas
what is the Baisc of laser plasma??
i just found about Laser-Plasma Interactions , but i would Know what is the theory of laser plasma and who was the first person studied this subjet??

could anyone help me!

Science news on Phys.org
Nickolas said:
what is the Baisc of laser plasma??
i just found about Laser-Plasma Interactions , but i would Know what is the theory of laser plasma and who was the first person studied this subjet??

could anyone help me!

Some of the ideas of laser plasma interaction date back to the invention of the laser itself. One of the more interesting applications is in so-called Inertial Confinement Fusion which is an alternative to magnetic confinement fusion. The basic idea is to use extremely intense laser radiation (terawatts) to heat small pellets filled with deuterium to extremely high temperatures such that the outer shell will ablate producing a rocket like effect thereby causing the fuel-containing interior to compress.

If the fuel is adequately compressed and heated then fusion can occur.

The laser interaction goes far beyond mere heating. For one thing the laser intensities are high enough to place the interaction into the strong field inverse bremmstrahlung (heating) regime which means heating is less efficient.

Fortunately, resonant coupling of the laser radiation with longitudinal electron plasma waves allows for efficient absorption of the laser light (linear wave conversion). Further, however, various types of stimulated scattering of laser light and other anomalous effect can occur at such elevated intensities including stimulated Raman (SRS) and Brilliouin (SBS)scattering (laser light interacting nonlinearly with electron plasma waves and ion acoustic waves respectively). Clearly, those will have adverse effects with the former (SRS) generating energetic electrons causing the core to heat prematurely making it more difficult to compress while the latter (SBS) can make the plasma reflect the laser light quite efficiently.

I've never heard of "laser plasma". Do you mean "laser generated plasma"?

Laser induced breakdown occurs when you "jiggle" an atom so hard that you end up ripping electrons out of their orbitals and inducing absorption in normally transparent media. The generated plasma alters the propagation characteristics of the laser beam - most notably it induces something called filamentation, which is a balancing act between nonlinear Kerr self-focusing and defocusing induced by the generated plasma, and results in light not spreading out as it propagates, rather traveling as a confined "filament" of light. LIDAR (The light version of Radar) utilises this phenomenon to deliver power to a distant target with minimal loss.

Claude.

What is laser plasma?

Laser plasma is a state of matter that is created when a high-intensity laser beam interacts with a gas or solid material, causing the electrons to be stripped from the atoms and creating a highly ionized plasma.

How is laser plasma created?

Laser plasma is created by focusing a high-power laser onto a material, such as a gas or solid, causing it to be heated and ionized. This creates a state of matter where the electrons are no longer bound to the nuclei and are free to move within the plasma.

What are the applications of laser plasma?

Laser plasma has a wide range of applications, including laser fusion, particle acceleration, and material processing. It is also used in various scientific experiments to study high-energy physics and astrophysical phenomena.

What is the theory behind laser plasma?

The theory behind laser plasma is based on the principles of electromagnetism and quantum mechanics. It involves the interaction between the intense laser beam and the material, which causes the electrons to oscillate and emit light, leading to the creation of a plasma.

What are the challenges in studying laser plasma?

Studying laser plasma can be challenging due to the complex interactions between the laser and the material, as well as the extreme conditions created, such as high temperatures and pressures. Additionally, accurately modeling and predicting the behavior of laser plasma is still an active area of research.